The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to renew?

Cuibono

I'm a parliamentarian of a large international student-run organization.  I anticipate that a motion that will probably be brought at the next board meeting concerning a fundraising idea will be defeated for rather selfish reasons.  I think that bringing this motion up again will most likely pass upon further reflection.  Can the maker of the motion bring "a motion to renew" the motion for this fundraising idea at the next meeting?

2 hours ago, Cuibono said:

I'm a parliamentarian of a large international student-run organization.  I anticipate that a motion that will probably be brought at the next board meeting concerning a fundraising idea will be defeated for rather selfish reasons.  I think that bringing this motion up again will most likely pass upon further reflection.  Can the maker of the motion bring "a motion to renew" the motion for this fundraising idea at the next meeting?

What do you mean by "a motion to renew"? There's no motion called a "motion to renew" in RONR.

But yes, if a main motion is rejected during one session, any member can make the same motion again at any later session* unless it has become absurd.

Take a careful look at Section 38 in RONR (11th ed.).

----------------------------------------------

* If you meant to ask if the defeated main motion can be made again during the same session, the answer is no, although a motion to reconsider the vote by which it was defeated might be made by any member who voted against it. Take a look at Section 37 for details. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.