The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can an approved motion be declared illegal at a subsequent meeting

John Mitchell

At the recent meeting of our association a motion was made and seconded and a vigorous discussion began. Another motion was made and seconded. It was pointed out that there already was a seconded motion was on the floor. The question was called on the second motion and voted on with approval granted. Can a member bring up this as an illegal motion at the next meeting and present the original motion to reopen discussion? Thank you!

Can you supply more details please such as how the two motions were connected (if they were).  If they were connected then what was done may be proper (or not) but if they weren't connected then chances are the first motion should have been dealt with in some form before addressing the second.

Agreeing with Mr. Harrison, even if the second motion was out of order, the next meeting is too late to raise a point of order. The motion remains adopted. To bring it up at the next meeting, the member could use rescind or amend something previously adopted, or, if the member voted on the prevailing side and the next meeting is within the same session, reconsider.

Thank you Mr. Harrison and Mr. Katz. I think I got the answer, "Next meeting is too late",  but there other options to deal with the issue. Yes, it should have been dealt with when the second motion was made but it wasn't. Our association seldom has contentious issues and is out of practice with actively using RROO. This is my big take away. Thanks again. John

Edited by John Mitchell

Like Chris Harrison, I believe more information would be helpful, particularly the information requested by Mr. Harrison as to what, if any, the relationship is between the original motion and the adopted motion.  Is it possible that the adopted motion was some form of amendment or substitute to the original motion?  Or did it deal with an entirely different subject?

Also, what happened to the original motion?  Was it adopted?  Defeated?  Just fell by the wayside?  Something else?

Fellows,

The original motion was to purchase a new dock for a landing on the lake. The subsequent motion, and not an amendment to the original motion was to not purchase a new dock but to review the need/situation in a year.  The motions were related  but in opposition to each other. That there was a seconded motion on the floor was not addressed but ignored and it fell by the wayside. 

Thanks again.

John

Well, the second motion was out of order anyway, but regardless, it is too late to do anything about it. In the future, raise two points of order: first, that there can only be one pending main motion at a time, and second, that a motion not to do something is out of order. (It's particularly silly, and potentially unfair, to do so when a motion to do so is already pending - just vote no.) But, my conclusion is that you're not getting a dock this year.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.