The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting for yourself.

Guest Thomas

30 minutes ago, Guest Thomas said:

If a member is the sitting Sgt. in Arms and decides to run for Vice President. During the voting process, can he then vote for himself for Vice President seeing that he is using his vote as the current Sgt. in Arms?

Thank you,

Thomas

If he is a member of the group that is voting he can vote for anyone he likes, including himself.

1 hour ago, Guest Thomas said:

During the voting process, can he then vote for himself for Vice President seeing that he is using his vote as the current Sgt. in Arms?

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann that anyone with the right to vote can vote for whomever he likes, what does the last part of this sentence mean? Note that, in any case, each person (unless your bylaws say otherwise) gets only one vote, regardless of how many hats he may wear.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

... as he is the current Sgt. in Arms.

Does being in the position of "Sgt in Arms" give the person the right to vote?   Or

Are you saying that someone must be a member of the association to be the Sgt. in Arms?

I think we are all in agreement here that a member can vote for himself but we are wondering what being Sgt. in Arms has to do with that.

BTW, the phrase in RONR is Sgt-AT-Arms (p. 350, line 27 & other indexed places) -- is your "IN" arms  something different?  Just wondering.

5 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Does being in the position of "Sgt in Arms" give the person the right to vote?   Or

Are you saying that someone must be a member of the association to be the Sgt. in Arms?

I think we are all in agreement here that a member can vote for himself but we are wondering what being Sgt. in Arms has to do with that.

BTW, the phrase in RONR is Sgt-AT-Arms (p. 350, line 27 & other indexed places) -- is your "IN" arms  something different?  Just wondering.

You are correct. It's At arms. I have never been in this position and I have a feeling other members will try to claim he does not have a right to Vote for himself. I want to be ready with facts when the question arises.

A useful response to a questioning "other member" (if a bit confrontational) is to ask him/her to show you the rule that prohibits the Sgt-at-Arms from voting for himself.  He won't be able to, of course, unless it is a rule hidden away in your bylaws. Don't take "Oh, it's in Roberts somewhere" for an answer!!

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

You are correct. It's At arms. I have never been in this position and I have a feeling other members will try to claim he does not have a right to Vote for himself. I want to be ready with facts when the question arises.

There are also explicit statements regarding a member’s right to vote for himself. RONR makes it clear that the rule regarding personal interest does not apply in this situation and, even if it did, the member would still retain the right to vote.

“The rule on abstaining from voting on a question of direct personal interest does not mean that a member should not vote for himself for an office or other position to which members generally are eligible...” (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 407-408)

“No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. For example, if a motion proposes that the organization enter into a contract with a commercial firm of which a member of the organization is an officer and from which contract he would derive personal pecuniary profit, the member should abstain from voting on the motion. However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 407, emphasis added)

In the event that the concerns relate specifically to the member’s position as Sergeant-at-Arms, I would note there is nothing in RONR’s rules pertaining to the Sergeant-at-Arms suggesting that this position entails any special restrictions on the rights of a member who serves in this position. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 462.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Here is a picture of then-President Barack Obama voting in 2012. Do you imagine he is voting for Mr. Romney??

https://cdn.geekwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/161123-obama-voting.jpg

18 hours ago, Guest Thomas said:

If a member is the sitting Sgt. in Arms and decides to run for Vice President. During the voting process, can he then vote for himself for Vice President seeing that he is using his vote as the current Sgt. in Arms?

Thank you,

Thomas

Are you saying that if he were not the Sergeant at Arms, he wouldn't be allowed to vote?    Members are allowed to vote, whether they hold office or not.  If he's a member, he can vote.   And why would he not vote for himself?  And presuming you are voting by ballot, how would you know whom he voted for?

10 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

Thomas, the question I have is: Why would this issue arise with the Sergeant-at-Arms and not with any other member of your board? In other words, if the Vice-President was running to become the President would you be asking the same question?

Yes, Sir.

I know we have people in our org. that will claim that since he is running for VP he is vacating his seat as Sergeant At Arms. Even though this is not true. I just know they will try to claim he cannot vote for himself running for the VP position. Basically, I want to have a solid argument, proof and grounds to shut that argument down.  I think like any organization you have some nay-sayers, some people whom have their own personal interest and/or are used to doing things their way for a long time.

I am looking to come in with structure. I want to do things the right way, all the time. Inclusion for all. And I know I have a long way to go, but I want and need so much more knowledge with Robert's Rules.

I appreciate all the help here, everyone is amazing. And I am sure I'll be bugging a few of you with all of my questions, haha but it's truly because I want to do things the right way.  

You are more than welcome to bug us to your heart's content.

Tell your nay-saying friends to look no further than page 3 of RONR  (if their attention span is adequate to get them that far in) where they will read "A member ... has the right ... to vote."  Couldn't be more solid grounds than that.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I know we have people in our org. that will claim that since he is running for VP he is vacating his seat as Sergeant At Arms.

I think this is the part we're trying to figure out about your rules. Would this person have the right to vote if he were not SAA? What is the voting body?

He would not.

Voting body consists of Coaches, Commissioners and then VP, Secretary, SAA and Treasurer.     We have some people who have been in the org for a long time and have only done things their way, but when changes happen in the next few months, I want to be as prepared as possible.   My fear was they would try to argue he cannot vote for himself for the VP position (even though he is the sitting SAA) I feel more confident in shutting that point down. Again, a lot of this is me being so new to this world. I have sat as VP for a couple years but our org has been pretty lax on structure and order.

Oh.. Kay... suppose there is a vacancy on the Board for whatever reason.  How, who, or what group, has the bylaw given authority to fill the vacancy?  I get the impression that you are (relatively) new to the board.  How did you get there?

For that matter, do your bylaws say how many board members there are supposed to be? 

You know, I'm really starting to suspect that one of the following is correct:

a) your bylaws contain multiple contradictions, ambiguities, and gaps

b) your organization has woefully misunderstood and misapplied the bylaws

Either way, if the organization is of sufficient size and has sufficient assets, maybe it's worth your while to hire a professional parliamentarian to look over your bylaws and sort this out. We're not going to be able to do it here. Both the American Institute of Parliamentarians and the National Association of Parliamentarians maintain referral lists. If the organization is too small or has too little money for this to be worth it (or if the board does not want to) it's likely you'll be best off working on a bylaw revision (perhaps with a committee to work on it) rather than trying to sort out this mess.

5 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

I'm thinking this should have stopped at post #2, or at least the thank you in post #3.

I agree. Dan Honemann summed it up very succinctly. If the sergeant-at-arms is a member of the voting body, he has the right to vote for anyone he wants to, including the right to vote for himself.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:07 PM, Richard Brown said:

I agree. Dan Honemann summed it up very succinctly. If the sergeant-at-arms is a member of the voting body, he has the right to vote for anyone he wants to, including the right to vote for himself.

But probably best not to vote for Mitt; he's a little busy these days.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.