The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can previous votes on items be changed at the next meeting?

Guest Guest member

Guest Guest member

Hello,

i am a director on a board. At the previous meeting an item was discussed, voted on and approved. Now individuals don’t like it and want to discuss it again at the upcoming meeting. Can a new motion, which is opposite of which was approved at the previous meeting, be made at the upcoming meeting?  If so what is the proper way to do this?  I do not agree with readdressing a topics after they have been voted on but if it comes up I want to make sure it is done correctly. Thanks in advance for the help!

If the motion has not been fully executed, the unexecuted portion may be changed or gotten rid of with the motion to Amend or Rescind Something Previously Adopted, which requires a majority vote with notice, a 2/3 vote, or a majority of the entire membership (of the board) voting in the affirmative, any one of which will suffice.

Out of curiosity, what do you find improper about readdressing a topic? Life is, after all, a learning process, and sometimes things don't work as we had thought. General Robert counseled that those who disagree with a decision should work cheerfully to carry it out - until such time as they have the votes to rescind it.

I agree with everything Mr. Katz said and a couple of other points may also be helpful.

The board cannot just consider and vote on a motion that conflicts with the motion passed at the previous meeting, assuming that that original motion is still in effect (with one exception that I will deal with later). They need to use the motion that Mr Katz has explained above. The voting threshold for that motion reflects the principle that there is a higher requirement to undo something then there was to do it in the first place, which provides some measure of stability.

Exception: Well, actually they could, but it would need to meet the same higher voting threshold as the motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted. In this way the principal I outline is preserved.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Added note re exception

Guest Guest Member

Me. Kratz. The reason that I disagree is due to the issue that it will continue to be brought up until the minority win. They will readdress the situation when the votes are in their favor. The reason the change was made was tomove the group forward and allow for more opportunity for the youth involved. It does create more work which is the reason the minority does not support the change. I am fine with readdressing items when necessary and needed but not when a group didn’t get what the wanted and want to continue to revisit at each meeting. 

Thank uou for all all your input every time. But I want to double check of it is brought up again it will take a 2/3 vote to change it. Am I understanding that correctly?

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest Member said:

But I want to double check of it is brought up again it will take a 2/3 vote to change it. Am I understanding that correctly?

Unless your bylaws or applicable law state otherwise, it takes a 2/3 vote, or a majority vote with prior notice, or a majority of the entire membership.

25 minutes ago, Guest Guest Member said:

I am fine with readdressing items when necessary and needed but not when a group didn’t get what the wanted and want to continue to revisit at each meeting. 

Some organizations with frequent meetings adopt special rules of order restricting the introduction of certain motions to only once a quarter, once every six months, or even once a year.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Member said:

I am fine with readdressing items when necessary and needed but not when a group didn’t get what the wanted and want to continue to revisit at each meeting. 

Whether something is "necessary and needed" depends largely on one's viewpoint. But if you want to dispose of the matter quickly, move the Previous Question as soon as you can gain recogntion. Make sure you have an ally ready to second your motion. PQ is undebatable, and requires a 2/3 vote.  Then if adopted, the motion that you are concerened about gets voted on immedaitely, without further debate. 

2 hours ago, Guest Guest Member said:

The reason that I disagree is due to the issue that it will continue to be brought up until the minority win. They will readdress the situation when the votes are in their favor.

This is the reason Amend or Rescind Something Previously Adopted requires either a higher vote threshold (2/3 or MEM) or notice - to prevent temporary majorities from destabilizing the organization. (The same is not true, though, when a motion has not carried - in that case, the rules allow it to be readdressed over and over until it passes, and then make it hard to reverse.)

2 hours ago, Guest Guest Member said:

It seems to me that when revisiting an issue is necessary and needed depends, in large part at least, on which side a person is on.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest Member said:

Me. Kratz. The reason that I disagree is due to the issue that it will continue to be brought up until the minority win. They will readdress the situation when the votes are in their favor. The reason the change was made was tomove the group forward and allow for more opportunity for the youth involved. It does create more work which is the reason the minority does not support the change. I am fine with readdressing items when necessary and needed but not when a group didn’t get what the wanted and want to continue to revisit at each meeting. 

Thank uou for all all your input every time. But I want to double check of it is brought up again it will take a 2/3 vote to change it. Am I understanding that correctly?

A 2/3 vote if no previous notice was given.  It's too late to do so at the previous meeting, but it can go out with the call of the meeting,  With previous notice, it's a majority vote.  Or, at any time, a majority of the entire membership (of the board, presuming it's a board meeting).  Anyone of those three will suffice.  If everyone shows up and everyone votes, that would satisfy the third choice so a majority of the entire board would be easier to get than a 2/3 vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.