The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Board of Governor perform the duties of treasure at the same time?

Guest Terry Blakeslee

Guest Terry Blakeslee

Hi All I hope you can help me.

Our club is holding its annual elections. Our current Treasure wants to step down as treasure and run for Board of Governors. The problem is on one from the General Body wants the treasure position. So the position of Treasure will be vacant. Our current treasure has expressed interest in performing the duties as Treasure while sitting on the Board of Governors. Is this against Robert's Rules? Is this a conflict of interest due to the fact that the Treasure doesn't have the right to make motions and vote, but the BOG position does?

Thank you for you time

Terry Blakeslee

BOG for Pequonnock Yacht Club

2 hours ago, Guest Terry Blakeslee said:

Is this a conflict of interest due to the fact that the Treasure doesn't have the right to make motions and vote, but the BOG position does?

I take this to mean that the treasurer position is not coextensive with a board position. If that's right, this seems fine. In any case, it certainly has nothing to do with conflicts of interest. If you mean something else, such as there being a bylaw prohibiting a treasurer board member from voting, or something else I can't think of at the moment, the answer will change. Can you clarify this bit a little more?

In general, it is permitted for an officer of the society to sit on an executive board. In fact, in some societies, some officers may be members of the executive board by virtue of their office. I see nothing improper about the Treasurer running for both in the upcoming election, provided the bylaws do not prohibit it.

12 hours ago, Guest Terry Blakeslee said:

Hi All I hope you can help me.

Our club is holding its annual elections. Our current Treasure[r] wants to step down as treasure[r] and run for Board of Governors. The problem is on one from the General Body wants the treasure[r] position. So the position of Treasure[r] will be vacant. Our current treasure[r] has expressed interest in performing the duties as Treasure[r] while sitting on the Board of Governors. Is this against Robert's Rules? Is this a conflict of interest due to the fact that the Treasure[r] doesn't have the right to make motions and vote, but the BOG position does?

Thank you for you time

Terry Blakeslee

BOG for Pequonnock Yacht Club

In the first place, it is not necessary for the current treasurer to step down in order to run for the Board.  Since there may be other candidates for the Board of Governors, it would be wise for her to see if she wins election before she decides whether to resign from the treasurer position.  If both positions are up for election at the same time, she can even run for both.

And if she is willing to perform the duties of both positions should no one else be willing, and if your bylaws don't prohibit this, then RONR has no problem with it either.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.