The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Draft Minutes

Tomm

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

If you (or anyone) wants them read, the demand is sufficient. There is no need for a vote on reading the minutes.

Not only is there no need for a vote, but taking a vote would be improper. Taking a vote carries the possibilty of rejection of the request, which would violate the member's right to have the minutes read on demand. 

2 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

Taking a vote carries the possibilty of rejection of the request, which would violate the member's right to have the minutes read on demand. 

RONR (11th ed.), p. 474, merely says, "... [the minutes] are not read unless this is requested by any member." Oddly enough, I think, the word used is "requested" instead of "demanded", which would have been the word I would have chosen, since "requested" leaves the impression that the assembly can properly turn down the request, even if the request is clearly for information.

Perhaps this is helpful in some way.

• If the assembly does not wish to carry out the reading and approval of the minutes at the regular time, it may, by a majority vote without debate, "dispense with the reading of the minutes." The minutes can then be taken up by majority vote without debate at any later time during the meeting while no business is pending. If the minutes are not thus taken up before adjournment, they are read and approved at the following meeting, before the later minutes are taken up. A motion to "dispense with the reading of the minutes" is not a request to omit their reading altogether.
  • A draft of the minutes of the preceding meeting can be sent to all members in advance, usually with the notice. In such a case, it is presumed that the members have used this opportunity to review them, and they are not read unless this is requested by any member. Correction of them and approval, however, is handled in the usual way. It must be understood in such a case that the formal copy placed in the minute book contains all corrections that were made and that none of the many copies circulated to members and marked by them is authoritative (see also p. 355).

RONR, 11th edition, page 474.

3 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

Not only is there no need for a vote, but taking a vote would be improper. Taking a vote carries the possibilty of rejection of the request, which would violate the member's right to have the minutes read on demand. 

Indeed.

8 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

The first bolded portion refers to, in effect, delaying both the reading and the approval of the minutes, which requires a majority vote. The second concerns the situation we are taking the OP to be asking about - distributing the minutes and then not reading them, but approving them without a reading instead. This procedure does not involve voting - if any member requests that the minutes be read, they must be read. It would then be in order, I would think, to move to dispense with the reading of the minutes, which requires a majority vote, but, as discussed above, also means they will not presently be approved.

In this discussion, it's worth keeping in mind that no vote is taken, either, on approving the minutes. Rather, once all amendments have been dealt with, they stand approved.

It seems to me, I must admit, that this is not a model of clarity. "Dispense with the reading of the minutes" sounds, to me at least, like it would be the same thing as approving them without reading them, but it is not. 

56 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

RONR (11th ed.), p. 474, merely says, "... [the minutes] are not read unless this is requested by any member." Oddly enough, I think, the word used is "requested" instead of "demanded", which would have been the word I would have chosen, since "requested" leaves the impression that the assembly can properly turn down the request, even if the request is clearly for information.

I agree.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.