The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote on a main motion allowing no debate

Guest RMA

8 hours ago, Guest RMA said:

Is it permissible, according to RONR, to vote on a main motion with no debate allowed?

Yes.  I haven't had my coffee yet this morning but two ways come to mind.

1) The main motion is made and then since the motion maker gets preference in recognition (gets called on before anyone else) he can move the Previous Question which if adopted (by a 2/3 vote) forces the motion to a vote immediately.

2) The member can move to "Suspend the Rules and adopt [insert motion language here]."  That requires a 2/3 vote.  If the motion doesn't get a 2/3 vote then it is treated the same as any other motion (debate, amendment, etc).

1 hour ago, Chris Harrison said:

2) The member can move to "Suspend the Rules and adopt [insert motion language here]."  That requires a 2/3 vote.  If the motion doesn't get a 2/3 vote then it is treated the same as any other motion (debate, amendment, etc).

But if such a motion to suspend the rules is defeated, no motion remains pending.

48 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

But if such a motion to suspend the rules is defeated, no motion remains pending.

I have to confess that I thought the main motion is taken up in the normal way, when the book actually says it "can be taken up only in the normal way".   Thanks for the clarification.

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

George, do you happen to have the citation handy? 

"When the object is to adopt a motion without debate or amendment, the form is: 
MEMBER A (obtaining the floor): I move to suspend the rules and adopt [or "agree to"] the following resolution: "Resolved, That ..." (Second.) 
If such a motion does not receive the required two-thirds vote, the main motion can be taken up only in the normal way. " 
RONR (11th ed.), pp. 266-67

I believe the original poster is asking if debate can be suspended without precluding amendments or other subsidiary motions.

Outside of committees, this is possible by adopting a preliminary main motion by a two-thirds vote. In committees, however, such a motion would not be in order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.