The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Spent Over approved motion

Guest Susie

A motion to spend $2500 was made and approved at June meeting. 

The actual cost was $2625 and was paid. This was reported to the board at July meeting. 

Would it be necessary to amend the original motion, or make a new motion to approve the additional cost?

3 hours ago, Guest Susie said:

A motion to spend $2500 was made and approved at June meeting. 

The actual cost was $2625 and was paid. This was reported to the board at July meeting. 

Would it be necessary to amend the original motion, or make a new motion to approve the additional cost?

Yes, it will be necessary to amend the original motion, or to adopt a motion to Ratify the expenditure. Otherwise, whoever paid the expense is on the hook for the unauthorized $125.

3 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes, it will be necessary to amend the original motion, or to adopt a motion to Ratify the expenditure. Otherwise, whoever paid the expense is on the hook for the unauthorized $125.

Well, I don't know that it is NECESSARY to amend the original motion or to adopt a motion  ratifying the purchase, but it might be advisable to do so, especially if the purchase is in any way contentious.  I personally would prefer a motion to ratify the purchase.  The member who paid the expense will not be "on the hook" for the unauthorized amount unless someone makes an issue of it.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Since the $2500 had already been spent wouldn't the motion be fully executed and thus couldn't be amended?

I think it could be amended for the purpose of increasing the authorized amount, as is contemplated here. I don't think it could be amended for the purpose of decreasing the authorized amount.

I think the original motion would be considered fully executed when the amount in the resolution agreed the amount actually expended.

Because the amount expended did not agree, a tension was created between the resolution and its realization--one which the assembly has the ability to reconcile, if they choose, by amending the original resolution.  I don't see why this could not be applied if the amount had been underpaid as well, if the assembly felt that the amount paid was, on second thought, sufficient.  I do not, however, believe that they could properly amend the resolution to a value that was less than the amount already paid.

But if they'd rather just ratify and forget about it, fine by me. 

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 7/22/2020 at 8:46 PM, Scott Fischer said:

I'm with Mr. Mervosh on this. How is the original not fully executed? I think ratification is the way to go.

We need that meme of the guy sitting at the folding table with a big sign saying, "convince me I'm wrong." 😜

As a card-carrying millennial, allow me to be of assistance:

49faxl.jpg

Edited by Alex Meed
make the attachment actually work

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.