The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a member hold more than 1 Executive board position?

NCDSA2011

Can a member of our Union hold more than 1 position on the Executive board? Our Bylaws make no mention of the possibility of this happening and we have several members running for multiple positions. I would think if the same person becomes the President and the Treasurer, how is there a checks and balance when the same person signs both spots on the check? (Bylaw says the President and Treasurer must sign checks).  

5 minutes ago, NCDSA2011 said:

Can a member of our Union hold more than 1 position on the Executive board?

No rule in RONR prohibits it, and neither does any rule in RONR.

5 minutes ago, NCDSA2011 said:

I would think if the same person becomes the President and the Treasurer, how is there a checks and balance when the same person signs both spots on the check?

If the society views it as a problem to have the same person serve as President and Treasurer, then elect someone else to one of those offices.

I agree with Messrs. Martin and Elsman. I just add the fact that the union can elect one person to more than one position, but that needs to be a deliberate choice. If you're electing multiple board positions on the same ballot, you need to follow the following procedure.

RONR (12th ed.) 46:32(1): "When voting for multiple offices by a single ballot, the members are not able to take the result for one office into account when voting for another office. For this reason, a candidate is never deemed elected to more than one office by a single ballot unless the motion or rules governing the election specifically provide for such simultaneous election. When there is no such provision, a candidate who receives a majority for more than one office on a single ballot must, if present, choose which one of the offices he will accept; if he is absent, the assembly decides by a ballot vote the office to be assigned to him. This question, which is debatable, requires a majority vote for adoption. The assembly then ballots again to fill the other office(s). (The assembly is free, however, to elect the same person to another office on a subsequent ballot, unless the bylaws prohibit a person from holding both offices simultaneously.)"

18 minutes ago, NCDSA2011 said:

I did not mention, our Union is incorporate, does that make a difference? Is there a separate set of rules for a corparation?   

There is not a separate set of rules in RONR. However, the nonprofit corporation statutes or the statutes dealing with unions in your state might have something to say about it. If there is a conflict between state law and RONR, state law would control.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:56 PM, NCDSA2011 said:

We are electing multiple (5) board positions on the same ballot. Thank you to all who replied. 

I hope that these five positions are all different from each other in some way, as opposed to being five identical positions ( e.g., defined just as director, trustee, etc). While I don't believe there is any prohibition in RONR against one member holding two or more identical positions, it would make no sense whatever to do that.

The 5 positions are different however, the VP takes over for the President in his absence. The same person in running for both positions. The President and Treasurer sign checks however, the same person is running for both positions. It just does not seam to make sense to me that 1 person can hold multiple spots. I seam to be the minority on this. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.