The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are motions allowed at committee meetings?

Guest DanYYZ

Hi there--just double checking that Board committees can make and vote on motions--for example, a motion to recommend a policy change or a set of performance targets?

Our non-profit Board has three committees: Audit and Risk, People, and Governance.

The folklore is that a consultant once told them committees don't have motions. So when I introduced a motion to recommend something to the Board, people reacted.

Have I totally misunderstood a fundamental of committee work?

On 5/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, Guest DanYYZ said:

Hi there--just double checking that Board committees can make and vote on motions--for example, a motion to recommend a policy change or a set of performance targets?

Our non-profit Board has three committees: Audit and Risk, People, and Governance.

The folklore is that a consultant once told them committees don't have motions. So when I introduced a motion to recommend something to the Board, people reacted.

Have I totally misunderstood a fundamental of committee work?

No, you haven't.

In fact a motion to approve a report or recommendation such as you describe is a perfect example of what sort of motions take place in committees.  Others might include sending out for pizza, setting a time for the next meeting, or adjourning.

Perhaps this consultant was confused by the similar-sounding true statement that committees generally don't have minutes.

I am just guessing that what is really being asked is whether a standing committee can originate a recommendation about a topic that is under its care.  The answer is certainly "yes".  The committee can adopt a report containing the recommendation, present the report at a meeting of its parent body, and move the adoption of the recommendation at the conclusion of the reading of the report.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, Guest DanYYZ said:

The folklore is that a consultant once told them committees don't have motions.

Some governance consultants (from my experience in the YYZ area) dislike, disparage, and often misrepresent parliamentary procedure. I expect that the message was that committees are less formal and that motions are not required and are not helpful.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, Guest DanYYZ said:

The folklore is that a consultant once told them committees don't have motions. 

Either that consultant or the people who supposedly heard him say those words have been smoking something. 

Edited to add: committees, committee procedures, and committee reports are discussed in sections 50 and 51 of RONR (12th ed.) in case you want to read it for yourself.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.