The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting procedures

Guest David

Either way will work.

"If the multiple positions have varying terms (as may happen when terms are staggered or there is an election to fill the remainder of an unexpired term) and the differing term lengths have not been assigned different sections of the ballot, the longer terms are allocated among those receiving a majority vote in the order in which they obtain greater numbers of votes. If there is a tie, the tied candidates may agree which of them will take a longer term; if they do not agree, the question is put to a vote on the next ballot."  RONR, 12th ed., 46:34

On 8/25/2022 at 7:33 PM, Guest David said:

We have four directors to elect. Three for three year terms and one for a two year term. How should we vote?

1. One election and top three serve 3 year terms and the next highest servers two .

2. Two separate elections.

but do remember that ALL elected directed need to be supported by at least a majority of those members that are present and voting.

When considering which method to use, consider that there might be persons who would be willing to commit to a two-year term but not a longer, three-year term.  Were there to be two, separate elections, such persons could choose to stand for the two-year seat but not choose to stand for the three-year seats.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, Rob Elsman said:

When considering which method to use, consider that there might be persons who would be willing to commit to a two-year term but not a longer, three-year term.  Were there to be two, separate elections, such persons could choose to stand for the two-year seat but not choose to stand for the three-year seats.

And I think that would be fine, as long as those who would be willing to take either term do not have to choose only one of them to run for.  It would be well if they could run for both seats, but of course only accept one.

I wonder what others think about this idea: Suppose such a person who would commit to a shorter term ran on a combined ballot line, and placed high enough in the vote count to get a longer term.  Would it be permissible that he could switch places with the person who did only well enough to be elected to the shorter term, presuming both agreed to the switch.  This is not unlike what happens in a tie, and I don't see a problem with it, since all those elected had a majority of the votes cast.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:10 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Rather than automatically allocating longer terms, or  switching, I have seen organizations adopt a special rule that "those receiving a majority vote" choose from the available term lengths "in the order in which they obtain greater numbers of votes."

I like it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.