The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change Meeting Logistics After Notice Sent to Members?

Big George

We have had several occasions where after a meeting notice was properly issued, changes were made to various aspects of the meeting’s logistics, changes such as the location, the time of day, and the addition of virtual participation (which is permitted in some but not all cases under our bylaws).  Our bylaws permit a certain number of members to call a meeting by their own action (I.e. they don’t request a meeting and then the Secretary sends out a notice). 

Sometimes changes are made because the requesters didn’t think everything through and they want to change the logistics.  Other times our chairman wants the meeting to be different from how it was independently called and sends subsequent updates with his changes.  

Unsurprisingly, this creates confusion and strife amongst the members, as they are unsure if they have the latest information and wonder if changes are made to try and advantage certain members and disadvantage others.

I searched through RONR and didn’t find anything that addresses changes to a meeting notice.  From past experience, I suspect that means that it isn’t addressed because everyone knows that you can’t change a meeting’s logistics after the notice has been sent out.

The changes are not minor (e.g. the projector isn’t working in room 1 so the meeting is moved to adjacent room 2 with a note on the door to room 1 so that there is no chance of confusion.  It is sometimes a different building at a different time.

Perhaps I missed something in RONR.  I appreciate any thoughts from the experts on this forum.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:09 PM, Big George said:

I searched through RONR and didn’t find anything that addresses changes to a meeting notice.  From past experience, I suspect that means that it isn’t addressed because everyone knows that you can’t change a meeting’s logistics after the notice has been sent out.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  I think it might be possible of if there was still enough time before the meeting that it would still be sufficient notice, but that gets confusing in its own way.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
typo as indicated

On 3/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, Big George said:

In my view, an updated call may be sent, provided that the deadline for sending the call has not yet passed. Suppose, for instance, that the bylaws provide that a meeting may be called with at least 30 days notice, and the call is initially sent out 60 days in advance. I believe it would be in order to send an updated call until 30 days before the meeting. After that time, it would no longer be in order to send an updated call.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, Rob Elsman said:

In my view, the updated call to the meeting is not proper, since it is unfair to those who have already made necessary arrangements to attend (e.g., changes in personal schedule or travel and lodging reservations).

So you disagree with Mr. Martin's reply?  If you are, I would be curious as to the rule you would cite to support any disagreement?  If you're just saying it may be unfair, I won't disagree with you.

I do disagree with Mr. Martin's reply.  On the basis of the call of a meeting, members might make non-refundable arrangements in good faith that could leave them in the lurch for hundreds of dollars.  It is hard for me to believe that the authors of RONR (12th ed.) intend this.  Otherwise, how many times may a modified call be sent?  Twice?  Six times?  A dozen?

On 3/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, Rob Elsman said:

In my view, the updated call to the meeting is not proper, since it is unfair to those who have already made necessary arrangements to attend (e.g., changes in personal schedule or travel and lodging reservations).

I think it's particularly bad form to jerk people around like that, but I can't see where it's improper according to the rules.

On 3/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I think it's particularly bad form to jerk people around like that, but I can't see where it's improper according to the rules.

I agree. In addition, there can often be very legitimate reasons for having to cancel or reschedule such things as special meetings, annual meetings and conventions. There can even be valid reasons for needing to cancel or reschedule regularly scheduled meetings, but canceling or rescheduling those is more problematic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.