The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Misspelled name in minutes

Guest Feels Foolish

The minutes should be as accurate as possible, and if I were the person whose name was misspelled, I wood would want it corrected. But how to do it depends on where you are in the process. Three scenarios:

1. If the draft minutes have not yet been presented for approval, and you are the secretary simply make the correction before presenting them.

2. If it's the next meeting and approval of the minutes is at hand, you (or any member) may propose the correction, which I assume would be non-controversial.

3. If the minutes have already been approved, they still can be corrected by means of a Motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. That's a bit more complicated, and I don't want to go into the details unless that's you situation. If it is, let us know and we can provide more guidance.

Edited by Weldon Merritt

On 3/28/2024 at 4:35 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

As wood I. 

On 3/28/2024 at 6:06 PM, Rob Elsman said:

I think I wood knot.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:54 AM, Drake Savory said:

Eye wood two

On 3/29/2024 at 5:50 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Sew wood eye.

OK, OK; I get it. I think you've milked that one for all it's worth. Darn spell check!

On 3/28/2024 at 5:30 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

3. If the minutes have already been approved, they still can be corrected by means of a Motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. That's a bit more complicated, and I don't want to go into the details unless that's you situation. If it is, let us know and we can provide more guidance.

Or how about:  "Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent to correction of the misspelling of Mr. Merritt's name in the minutes of the meeting held on January 15, 2024."

On 3/29/2024 at 6:09 PM, Dan Honemann said:

Or how about:  "Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent to correction of the misspelling of Mr. Merritt's name in the minutes of the meeting held on January 15, 2024."

Yes, of course. Sometimes we overlook the simplest answer. But technically, isn't that still adoption, by unanimous consent, of the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.