The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is Neutrality Necessary Outside the Meeting

Larry Cisar

Situation: You are the parliamentarian for an organization. During the meetings, you maintain neutrality and nobody has a problem with that. Well, now it is election time and one group running for office has stated that they really do not care that much about the rules. Can you, as the parliamentarian, outside of the meeting, come out against them?

Situation: You are the parliamentarian for an organization. During the meetings, you maintain neutrality and nobody has a problem with that. Well, now it is election time and one group running for office has stated that they really do not care that much about the rules. Can you, as the parliamentarian, outside of the meeting, come out against them?

Yes.

No rule in RONR prohibits it, but an organization's parliamentarian should always exercise a great deal of discretion in such matters, don't you think? :)

RONR concerns itself with primarily with conduct during meetings. It seems to me this is more of a question of personal or professional ethics than of the rules under RONR.

If I wanted to keep my job, I'd keep my mouth shut. My advice is to not serve as parliamentarian if you want to participate in the politics of the organization. :)

... now it is election time and one group running for office has stated that they really do not care that much about the rules.

Can you, as the parliamentarian, outside of the meeting, come out against them?

What?

There is a group of people who are saying, "We don't care for rules"?

Yes, you can come out against them.

That is, you ARE allowed, as parliamentarian, to say, "I support the letter and spirit of the bylaws, and I support parliamentary procedure."

There is nothing wrong with supporting the rule of law.

So surely, there is nothing wrong with supporting the bylaws.

A parliamentarian ought not prefer anarchy in one's meetings.

What?

[snip]

Yes, you can come out against them.

That is, you ARE allowed, as parliamentarian, to say, "I support the letter and spirit of the bylaws, and I support parliamentary procedure."

[snip]

A parliamentarian ought not prefer anarchy in one's meetings.

But Kim, Larry wasn't asking about the parliamentarian coming out in favor of anything, he was asking about actively7 opposing those who "stated that they really do not care that much about the rules": the former is nonpartisan principle, the latter taking an active voice n the political arena. One's a no-brainer, the other is what this thread is about.

(Myself, I prudently agree with Tim.)

Nancy

But Kim, Larry wasn't asking about the parliamentarian coming out in favor of anything, he was asking about actively7 opposing those who "stated that they really do not care that much about the rules": the former is nonpartisan principle, the latter taking an active voice n the political arena. One's a no-brainer, the other is what this thread is about.

I would think it would be the parliamentarian's responsibility (as it is that of any member) to oppose those who state that they have no interest in following the rules.

I would think it would be the parliamentarian's responsibility (as it is that of any member) to oppose those who state that they have no interest in following the rules.

I would think so too. But when people like Ann and Dan, who we have good reason to assume know their business, are less precipitous, and the likes of Dr. Cisar up and ask the question, it may be advisable for people like Mr. Mt and me to pay a littile more attention to the edge of the cliff.

[Edited 9:41 AM to remove stupidity]

No, but I think you should tell them that, as an expert, you will testify at the lawsuit.

AHA! Overtime! :P

No, premium rates. ;)

Actually, this came this past week for me. I do feel honor bound to tell the clients/potential clients that if they pursue certain courses of action that their parliamentarian will not bless their actions. He won't thwart it, but he has a duty to express the correct rule.

Archived