The Official RONR Q & A Forums

email voting

grammaconnie

Thanks. Your information was most helpful.

I should have taken my original question a step further. Can a board institute a Standard of Procedure whenever they desire? Our bylaws state that the president can appoint committees. Can a board then initiate a Standard of Procedure outlining committee formation, committee chair, committee liaison. Can this Standard of Procedure state that if the liason to a committee is a board member that the liason cannot vote in the committee?

I had previously read those pages and found the information helpful. However, the following paragraph is in our bylaws and one person is arguing that this paragraph gives the board permission to vote by email. "Any action required or permitted to be taken at a meeting of the Executive Board may be taken without a meeting if all of the persons entitled to vote theron consent thereto in writing."

I had previously read those pages and found the information helpful. However, the following paragraph is in our bylaws and one person is arguing that this paragraph gives the board permission to vote by email. "Any action required or permitted to be taken at a meeting of the Executive Board may be taken without a meeting if all of the persons entitled to vote theron consent thereto in writing."

Because of the nature and purpose of this forum, we will have to leave it up to you all to determine whether the cited rule authorizes voting by email. The general law is clear, though: voting is limited to members who are actually present in a legal meeting when the vote is taken. RONR (10th ed.), pp. 408-409.

For the record. It was not a typo on my part. That is exactly what the section says.

Make sure you're looking at the minutes of the meeting where that rule was adopted. You might just be looking at a copy with a typo. If "theron" appears that way in the minutes, you can schedule a corrective amendment. Or use it as a parliamentary "ice-breaker" to lead into more controversial amendments.

Can a board institute a Standard of Procedure whenever they desire? Our bylaws state that the president can appoint committees. Can a board then initiate a Standard of Procedure outlining committee formation, committee chair, committee liaison. Can this Standard of Procedure state that if the liason to a committee is a board member that the liason cannot vote in the committee?

The board can only adopt rules if authorized to do so by the Bylaws or by the membership by vote. Even if the board is authorized to adopt rules, those rules may not conflict with the Bylaws.

Archived