The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ending a meeting

Guest Justin Griffin

Does the moderator have the right to end a meeting if the moderator feels as though the meeting is getting out of control? I have been told that the moderator can end a meeting but only in specific cases and not if he or she feels that the meeting is getting out of control. By "out of control," I mean excessive arguing, accusations and straying from the agenda.

By "out of control," I mean excessive arguing, accusations and straying from the agenda.

That's not "out of control" enough. RONR speaks of "fire, riot, or other extreme emergency" (p.84). What you describe is simply an ineffectual presiding officer. See "Suggestions for Inexeperienced Presiding Officers" on pp. 438-440.

That's not "out of control" enough. RONR speaks of "fire, riot, or other extreme emergency" (p.84). What you describe is simply an ineffectual presiding officer. See "Suggestions for Inexeperienced Presiding Officers" on pp. 438-440.

That's a good suggestion, and additional training for all the members of the assembly might be helpful, too.

Does the moderator have the right to end a meeting if the moderator feels as though the meeting is getting out of control? I have been told that the moderator can end a meeting but only in specific cases and not if he or she feels that the meeting is getting out of control. By "out of control," I mean excessive arguing, accusations and straying from the agenda.

Since it's the moderator's job to keep the meeting under control, if the moderator feels it's getting out of control, the moderator should bring it back under control.

Archived