The Official RONR Q & A Forums

breaking a tie

Guest JF

Voting between 2 contractors to do a roofing job 2 members vote one contractor and 2 vote the other contractor how do you break the tie

You don't run this like an election, because it's not.

You need a motion To award the roofing contract to ______, and then use the method of Filling Blanks to amend it to its final form. You would start with the highest bidder, presuming that would be the least likely to gain approval, and if that name gets majority support the blank is filled. If not, continue with the other(s) until the blank is filled.

Or someone can make the main motion to award to the lowest responsible bidder, and let the board amend it to the other guy if they wish. If the amendment fails, the vote is on the question of whether to award to the low bidder.

In any case there must be a vote on the main motion "to award to..." at the end, but you're voting Aye or No on the final motion as amended. If the Noes have it, the roof continues to leak, and all of you probably get voted out of office next year.

P.S., the idea of adding a board member to cast the deciding vote is absurd beyond words.

This is a little confusing. First you talk about voting on a new member. Then you talk about voting on a contractor to do a roofing job. You ask if the President can have the board vote to break the tie, leaving us to assume it is not the board that is in the 2-to-2 deadlock here.

So, who is doing the voting?

As Mr. Novosielski suggests, using the method of Filling Blanks is more appropriate for your situation. However it appears that neither contractor will receive a majority vote, so you're left with the leaky roof. You might see about taking the vote by (secret) ballot which may result in a winner, given that someone may switch their vote in hopes of resolving the issue. Or not. In which case, a motion to expend funds to purchase some buckets might be in order. :)

This is a little confusing. First you talk about voting on a new member. Then you talk about voting on a contractor to do a roofing job. You ask if the President can have the board vote to break the tie, leaving us to assume it is not the board that is in the 2-to-2 deadlock here.

So, who is doing the voting?

As Mr. Novosielski suggests, using the method of Filling Blanks is more appropriate for your situation. However it appears that neither contractor will receive a majority vote, so you're left with the leaky roof. You might see about taking the vote by (secret) ballot which may result in a winner, given that someone may switch their vote in hopes of resolving the issue. Or not. In which case, a motion to expend funds to purchase some buckets might be in order. :)

I'd oppose that motion. If the board can't pick a contractor, they should pay for the buckets themselves.

Really? How would you announce the result?

Well, per p. 47, I suppose RONR's preference is to declare, as you would, that "the negative has it" (or "the nos have it") but I guess I'm imagining a member saying, "Wait a minute! The nos don't have it. No one has it." So, to avoid any confusion, I'm thinking I might say something like, "Having failed to achieve a majority vote, the motion is lost".

[by the way, I'm spelling the plural of "no" without an "e" just to see how it looks. The only analogous word I can come up with are Hostess Ho Hos.)

What final form?......they couldn't fill the blank to bring it to a final form, unless JF said something I missed.

As I understand this process, (in one scenario) someone would move to have the roof repairs done by Contractor A, and then another member would move to strike "Contractor A" creating a blank. The chair then calls for "nominations" to fill the blank, hearing Contractor A and Contractor B. A vote is taken on Contractor A and is lost to the 2x2 tie. Contractor B is voted on and is lost to the 2x2 tie. So, where does that leave the assembly, as well as the motion to have the roof repair done by ___________ ?

Do they revote on Contractor A and B again (and again) in hopes someone weakens and switches sides? Or is the motion to repair the roof lost?

RONR seems to be expectant that one of the options will receive a majority vote down the line, but that clearly is not a certainty. So...... ?:huh:

Archived