The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion

Jeanne310

If the motion was immediately pending when the meeting ended, it comes up again automatically as the first item of unfinished business, and it's possible a point of order could made at that time, see p. 244.

If the motion just lingered and was never disposed of but was not immediately pending when the meeting was adjourned, it's dead......leave it that way.

If the motion was immediately pending when the meeting ended, it comes up again automatically as the first item of unfinished business, and it's possible a point of order could made at that time, see p. 244.

If it was immediately pending when the meeting ended, there is no need to wait until it becomes pending again. The Point of Order, in this case, can be made "at any time". Presumably, it can be raised when no other question is pending. RONR (10th ed.), p. 244.

Edited to strike out my reply. This reply is dead wrong. George is right about this, but not the Steelers. biggrin.gif

--Rob "Senior Moment" Elsman

If it was immediately pending when the meeting ended, there is no need to wait until it becomes pending again. The Point of Order, in this case, can be made "at any time". Presumably, it can be raised when no other question is pending. RONR (10th ed.), p. 244.

Edited to strike out my reply. This reply is dead wrong. George is right about this, but not the Steelers. biggrin.gif

--Rob "Senior Moment" Elsman

Rob (or anyone, perhaps preferably less elderly), why do you think this reply is wrong?

Rob (or anyone, perhaps preferably less elderly), why do you think this reply is wrong?

Only because I'm a glutton for punishment, don't know when I should stick my nose out of things, and because I'm trying to keep my post count up.... I'd guess it's because the motion hasn't been adopted yet [ p. 244 (a) and (b )], and because no action has been taken yet [(c ), (d), and (e)], the continuing breach hasn't happened yet. Although I'm wondering if "action taken", particularly as it relates to (c ) or (d), includes the actual making of the motion itself, though I don't think that's what "action taken" refers to. As always, I could be wrong. :(

Only because I'm a glutton for punishment, don't know when I should stick my nose out of things, and because I'm trying to keep my post count up.... I'd guess it's because the motion hasn't been adopted yet [ p. 244 (a) and (b )], and because no action has been taken yet [(c ), (d), and (e)], the continuing breach hasn't happened yet. Although I'm wondering if "action taken", particularly as it relates to (c ) or (d), includes the actual making of the motion itself, though I don't think that's what "action taken" refers to. As always, I could be wrong. :(

This is quite right. Since there is no continuing breach as of yet, the usual rule that a Point of Order must be raised at the time the breach occurs is in force. The breach will not occur again until the motion becomes pending.

Archived