The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members with Same Last Name

Guest Sarah

We have two members with the same last name. How do we differentiate when we refer to/mention them?

Thanks!

-Sarah

Two ideas come to mind off hand. First, is to address the member by first and last name. The other idea is if you know where the member lives you could refer to them by last name and location such as "The Chair recognizes Mr. Green from Alexandria."

Assuming (dangerous as that is) you are referring to inclusion of their names in the minutes where appropriate, using first names as well as last names would probably be acceptable. For example: "Mr. John Smith moved ......"

Yes, that is one situation that I am referring to, but I am also wondering how to address them during meetings. ie. How should the president address them if they both request to speak at the same time?

-Thanks!

Thank you. They are both from the same place, but if it is appropriate to refer to them by first and last name we will do so.

Two ideas come to mind off hand. First, is to address the member by first and last name. The other idea is if you know where the member lives you could refer to them by last name and location such as "The Chair recognizes Mr. Green from Alexandria."

Yes, that is one situation that I am referring to, but I am also wondering how to address them during meetings. ie. How should the president address them if they both request to speak at the same time?

-Thanks!

I believe Chris H offers an acceptable alternative. I don't think you need to get too hung up on this. The important point is to properly recognize the correct member at the correct time. Whatever that takes should be fine, and I wouldn't expect any problems from the other members aware of the situation.

I believe Chris H offers an acceptable alternative. I don't think you need to get too hung up on this. The important point is to properly recognize the correct member at the correct time. Whatever that takes should be fine, and I wouldn't expect any problems from the other members aware of the situation.

Thanks everyone! It's for a competition so we wanted to be extra cautious.

Thanks everyone! It's for a competition so we wanted to be extra cautious.

Good idea! In contests I have judged, I have graded down because the chair refers to members by the first name alone. But I certainly would not grade down for referring to a member by first and last name if necessary to distinguish between them. (And I doubt any other judge would, either.)

Good idea! In contests I have judged, I have graded down because the chair refers to members by the first name alone. But I certainly would not grade down for referring to a member by first and last name if necessary to distinguish between them. (And I doubt any other judge would, either.)

I'd agree, and I have judged contests as well.

I'd agree, and I have judged contests as well.

I'm curious what sort of contests these are where the rules of RONR apply?

Archived