The Official RONR Q & A Forums

insisting a memorandum be included in minutes

Guest Gary Talboy

I am on a board that will be voting on a critical issue. Three of the four board members have decided to discount evidence that shows their agreed vote will endanger the welfare of the organization. I would like to submit a memorandum to the minutes to document the information as well as my vote and reasons thereof, so there can be no question in the future that the information was available to all before the vote.

As a board member in good standing, can I require that my memorandum be included in the minutes?

Thanks

G>T>

As a board member in good standing, can I require that my memorandum be included in the minutes?

No. You may request that the information be included in the minutes. There is some debate here over whether such a request requires a majority vote or a 2/3 vote to be granted, but since you seem to be in the minority I doubt it makes any difference.

No. You may request that the information be included in the minutes. There is some debate here over whether such a request requires a majority vote or a 2/3 vote to be granted, but since you seem to be in the minority I doubt it makes any difference.

I hold that no business arises out of the memorandum, so it would be improper to include it in the minutes. Such a request to do so serves no legitimate parliamentary purpose; it is dilatory and out of order. It is to be recalled that the minutes are the journal of the board's proceedings, not the personal journal of an individual member.

just to test to see if I can receive the replies to my question I am sending this reply

And just to clarify for future reference, the "Reply" and "Add Reply" buttons don't actually send you an email or message after a person here has posted an answer (that's really what the "reply" is) unless you are a registered member on the forum (not a Guest, that is). So, while you're still Guest-ing, you'll need to revisit the forum and check for replies.

I hold that no business arises out of the memorandum, so it would be improper to include it in the minutes. Such a request to do so serves no legitimate parliamentary purpose; it is dilatory and out of order. It is to be recalled that the minutes are the journal of the board's proceedings, not the personal journal of an individual member.

I tend to agree, but I would also grant that such a rule is a suspendable rule of order, so that the assembly could order the memorandum included by a 2/3 vote.

No, it's not the right thing to do, but if they are so determined, it's hard to rule a practice dilatory when 2/3 are prepared to tolerate it.

I tend to agree, but I would also grant that such a rule is a suspendable rule of order, so that the assembly could order the memorandum included by a 2/3 vote.

No, it's not the right thing to do, but if they are so determined, it's hard to rule a practice dilatory when 2/3 are prepared to tolerate it.

Without addressing if this is rule of order, the majority can order things such as committee reports into the minutes, by majority vote (p. 454). They could here as well.

It seems doubtful that the majority will consent in this case.

I agree that the rules of order pertaining to the content of the minutes are suspendable by a two-thirds vote.

Rob, why does your stubborness cause you to not read this part of RONR with a good heart in interpreting it with the intent the authors had in mind?

Rob, why does your stubborness cause you to not read this part of RONR with a good heart in interpreting it with the intent the authors had in mind?

After the assembly has certainly registered its judgment on a question, individual members on the losing side do not have the right to persist in keeping the question before the assembly, except as the rules provide, RONR (10th ed.), p. 296, ll. 20-22; p. 305, ll. 15-25. On the contrary, the president has the duty of his office to protect the overriding rights of the assembly as a whole and move expeditiously to the next item of business, RONR (10th ed.), p. 434, ll. 16-17, 21-22. The individual member can enter his disgruntlement with the assembly's decision in his personal journal, but his disgruntlement has nothing to do with the official proceedings of the assembly recorded in the minutes of the meeting.

Archived