The Official RONR Q & A Forums

are meetings usually held in exectuitve session with only elected board members present?

Guest joanna

I can't remember where it is in RONR, but I am 99% sure that RONR states that Boards normally meet in Executive Session.

Normally, if there is no sunshine rule in affect (either by statute or in the organization's By-laws) I my default position is that all meetings are automatically held in Executive Session unless specifically stated otherwise. Why would I say this? Simple, unless a non-member is informed of the meeting, how would non-members know of a meeting.

Normally, if there is no sunshine rule in affect (either by statute or in the organization's By-laws) I my default position is that all meetings are automatically held in Executive Session unless specifically stated otherwise. Why would I say this? Simple, unless a non-member is informed of the meeting, how would non-members know of a meeting.

True, but I don't think that excluding nonmembers should be the main reason for an assembly who understands RONR to be going into Executive Session since one of the major parts of Executive Session is that the members have a duty (under the pain of disciplinary action) to not divulge what happened to anyone who isn't a member of the body and they can keep nonmembers out no matter whether they are meeting in Executive Session or not..

Archived