The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vacancy on the board

tpeterlein

The member should submit the resignation in writing to the secretary or appointing power (or during a meeting). The power to appoint or elect persons to any office or board carries with it the power to accept their resignations, and also the power to fill any vacancy occurring in it.

Once the resignation has been accepted, the assembly can proceed to fill the vacancy. Notice of filling a vacancy in an office must always be given to the members of the body that will elect the person to fill it, unless the bylaws or special rules of order clearly provide otherwise.

Like the sample bylaws in RONR?

Good point.  :)   Along those lines, I was surprised that there is no mention in RONR in Brief about filling vacancies and that the only thing said about resignations is the inclusion of FAQ 18 about withdrawing a resignation.  (RONR in Brief, 2nd ed, p 121)

Our by-laws do not address when someone resigns from the position.

How do we properly post the position and when can we hold a special election?

Was the position an OFFICER position?

Was the position a COMMITTEE (i.e., non-officer) position?

There is a subtle difference in "how fast" you can fill the seat.

* You cannot elect a replacement officer without first giving notice.

* You can fill a committee seat the same meeting you accept the resignation. -- No notice is required.

Your bylaws are completely silent about vacancies?   Not a word about how they are to be filled?

Like the sample bylaws in RONR?

Good point. 

In the light of day I feel compelled to add that, if a society has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority, then it has adopted (implicit) rules for filling vacancies (i.e. the same way the offices are usually filled).

But, of course, I think the OP was saying that there are no explicit rules in the bylaws for filling mid-term vacancies (i.e. the word "vacancy" won't be found).

But the sample bylaws in RONR do give the board power to conduct the affairs of the society between (general) meetings.  I believe that would give it the power to fill vacancies.

I'm not so sure. The language in the sample bylaws ("general supervision") seems to fall short of the "full power and authority" language recommended on p.578.

But the sample bylaws in RONR do give the board power to conduct the affairs of the society between (general) meetings.  I believe that would give it the power to fill vacancies.

I'm not so sure. The language in the sample bylaws ("general supervision") seems to fall short of the "full power and authority" language recommended on p.578.

Far short, as a matter of fact.  :) 

• 3 months later...

Guest_Victoria, please post a new question as a new topic instead of adding to an existing thread. Think of this thread as tpeterlein's thread. This way, the answers to your question will not be confused with the answers to the question that tpeterlein had, especially if they're completely different situations.

Guest_Victoria, you can post a new question by going to the General Discussion forum and clicking on "Start New Topic" near the upper right hand corner.

Archived