The Official RONR Q & A Forums

signature on minutes of board meeting

Guest Steven V. Agraviador

No.  Only the secretary's signature is required.  Anything more than that would be due to a customized rule of your own.

Edited to add:  From page 471 of RONR:

"THE SIGNATURE. Minutes should be signed by the secretary and can also be signed, if the assembly wishes, by the president. The words Respectfully submitted—although occasionally used—represent an older practice that is not essential in signing the minutes."

RONR notes that the president can also sign it

though the reason for this escapes me.

Hypothesis.

Two guesses.

Standard business practices.

1.) Old Russian saying. "Trust. But Verify."

Meaning, a single person, like a secretary, should not be sufficient for authenticating a document as important as minutes. A second party, like a president, should double check the process and double check the document.

2.) When any report is presented, it is already signed by the author(s). No report should be submitted by "Anonymous". Readers need to know who drafted the report. -- The boss? The employee? A consultant?

For minutes, the document is signed by the secretary well before anyone hears the minutes read aloud.

A second mark, symbol, or seal, by a second party, like a president, is a non-author's signature or mark, thus the reader has evidence that someone other than the author(s) have read/approved the signed document.

It is the President who has the responsibility and authority to certify copies of resolutions passed, where required. I assume that the President signing the minutes is an extension of this.

In the U.S., it is the secretary, not the president, who usually "authenticates" the acts of the organization and the signature of the president. 

As to the president also signing the minutes, I call everyone's attention to the quote from RONR that I posted in post # 2 above:

"THE SIGNATURE. Minutes should be signed by the secretary and can also be signed, if the assembly wishes, by the president. "

It's up to the assembly.

In the U.S., it is the secretary, not the president, who usually "authenticates" the acts of the organization and the signature of the president. 

As far as RONR is concerned, it is the duty of the presiding officer of an assembly to do so "when necessary". (RONR, 11th ed., p. 450, ll. 22-23)

Also, the Secretary (and the President, if the assembly chooses) do not need to sign every page, usually the last page.

And motions take effect immediately upon approval, except if the By-laws or the motion itself states otherwise.  So, it is possible that all the motions may have been carried out by the next meeting.

Guest Steven V. Agraviador

When the trascription of the previous meeting is corrected and approved, this becomes the minutes and has to be filed by the Secretary together with the other approved minutes. Is it necessary for all the members of the Board to sign on all the pages to signify approval of it?

When the trascription of the previous meeting is corrected and approved,

this becomes the minutes and has to be filed by the Secretary

together with the other approved minutes.

Is it necessary for all the members of the Board to sign on all the pages to signify approval of it?

"When the trascription of the previous meeting is corrected and approved,

this becomes the minutes

and has to be filed by the Secretary

together with the other approved minutes."

"Transcription"?

No. A transciption is not the same as minutes.

Minutes hold a list of motions and their disposition.

A transcript holds a list of "what is said."

Minutes do not hold "what is said" except so far as related to motions and reports.

If you have a transcription, then that is a good start; but that transciption ought to be edited down into a set of real minutes.

All the extraneous fluff and commentary are to be edited out.

Is it necessary for all the members of the Board

to sign on all the pages

to signify approval of it?

Per Robert's Rules of Order? -- "No."

Not all of the board members.

Not all of the pages.

If you wish to conform to Robert's Rules of Order,

then NO board member is to sign ANY of the pages.

A single signature is all that is necessary. -- The Secretary's signature.

On one page.

Other people are optional, not mandatory.

Other pages are optional, not mandatory.

When the trascription of the previous meeting is corrected and approved, this becomes the minutes and has to be filed by the Secretary together with the other approved minutes. Is it necessary for all the members of the Board to sign on all the pages to signify approval of it?

No.

What you suggest amounts to a requirement for unanimous approval of every word in the minutes, which RONR does not (by a long shot) require.

But the minutes are not a transcription, and a transcription is not the minutes, so the first sentence does not appear to have anything to do with minutes.

• 11 months later...

What exactly is a valid signature...as Secretary of our Condo Board I have always included my name in printed form on the approved copy of the minutes.  We are a small condo complex of 34 units and everyone knows each other.  One unit owner has recently started to insist that all the minutes ever recorded are invalid because the 'signature' was printed.  His claim is that only a cursive style signature is valid.  I have not used cursive style since the nuns in primary school made me use it.  My formal signature is printed and that's what is represented electronically on the minutes.  The unit owner I refer to has a tendency to nit-pick technical details like this and quite honestly I just want to put it to rest and move on to more important issues.

What exactly is a valid signature...as Secretary of our Condo Board I have always included my name in printed form on the approved copy of the minutes.  We are a small condo complex of 34 units and everyone knows each other.  One unit owner has recently started to insist that all the minutes ever recorded are invalid because the 'signature' was printed.  His claim is that only a cursive style signature is valid.  I have not used cursive style since the nuns in primary school made me use it.  My formal signature is printed and that's what is represented electronically on the minutes.  The unit owner I refer to has a tendency to nit-pick technical details like this and quite honestly I just want to put it to rest and move on to more important issues.

Nothing in RONR requires that a signature be written in cursive. Additionally, even the lack of any signature would not make the minutes invalid, so even if it was true that only a cursive signature is valid, this would not mean that the minutes are invalid.

For future reference, however, it is generally best on this forum to ask a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic is similar.

Archived