The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing Ruling of the Chair

Jim Anderson

I am a member of a local Yacht Club in Washington State and have made a few inquiries of this Forum. This experience has been very rewarding and your answers have helped me a lot.

My current question concerns a ruling made by the Chair of our organization at the September 2014 general meeting (first meeting of our September to June 2014/2015 season). The Chair's action summarily put an end to a long standing tradition of our Club where members were invited to contribute quarters to a container at every meeting with the previous meeting's contributions awarded to a member through a drawing (with all members included in the drawing). If the drawn member was present, they received the booty from the previous meeting's contributions. Obviously on the surface, this would seem like a petty complaint to this chair's singular ruling (without announcement or debate) to eliminate a long standing tradition however this was the beginning of a long list of items orchestrated by this Chair to change traditions and rules for our organization.

In regard to the "money drawing tradition", a member inquired of the Chair later in that September meeting, what had happened to the passing of the "hat" for the drawing. The Chair responded with something like "Oh, I have decided to discontinue this drawing". The questioning member then asked how the Chair had come to that decision and was simply told that "as Chair, I felt this tradition was tacky and simply did not wish it to continue". This did not sit well with several members and further inquiries after this meeting reportedly resulted in the Chair's response "I am 'Commodore' and can do whatever I wish when I feel something is not in the best interest of the Club". Even though this may be considered a small thing, it was a very long standing tradition of our Club and enjoyed by many.  

My question (sorry for drawing this out): Is there any remedy for this summary ruling by the Chair? I must point out that the ruling was only verbalized after the member spoke up, indicating the Chair had no intention of commenting about his elimination of this tradition, if no one had questioned it. I understand there is a timeliness rule in RONR (p 257-30) however would like to know if there is a method to reinstate a tradition such as this without an appeal to the Chair after this length of time.

Thank you

As you had noted it would be too late to Appeal the Chair's ruling that the tradition is to be discontinued.  Stay tuned for other thoughts but two ways to approach this come to mind.

1) If you want to codify this tradition (so the Chair can't just unilaterally put an end to it again) a motion can be adopted specifying the details.  Or,

2) If you want to keep it as an informal tradition (so you all can do away with it without having to Rescind anything) just pass the hat and do the drawing before the meeting is called to order or after it is adjourned so it isn't Club business and he doesn't have any official authority over the practice.  If the Chair doesn't like that tell him he doesn't have to put anything in the kitty and you will gladly take his name out of contention for the drawing (makes the chances of winning higher for everyone else ;) ).

As you had noted it would be too late to Appeal the Chair's ruling that the tradition is to be discontinued.  Stay tuned for other thoughts but two ways to approach this come to mind.

1) If you want to codify this tradition (so the Chair can't just unilaterally put an end to it again) a motion can be adopted specifying the details.  Or,

2) If you want to keep it as an informal tradition (so you all can do away with it without having to Rescind anything) just pass the hat and do the drawing before the meeting is called to order or after it is adjourned so it isn't Club business and he doesn't have any official authority over the practice.  If the Chair doesn't like that tell him he doesn't have to put anything in the kitty and you will gladly take his name out of contention for the drawing (makes the chances of winning higher for everyone else ;) ).

A third possibility would be to start passing it out during the meeting, and then Appeal from the chair's ruling when he orders them to stop.

I think actually adopting a motion is the best option, though.

Thank you all for your input on my question. As always this Forum is a great resource for parliamentary questions.

As our meetings are never attended by all members of the organization, would we need to give prior notice in order to present a motion to make this more than a tradition?

Jim Anderson

A third possibility would be to start passing it out during the meeting, and then Appeal from the chair's ruling when he orders them to stop.

I think actually adopting a motion is the best option, though.

I agree with all of the previous statements/options.  As to the "third possibility" of passing the hat during the meeting and the appealing from the ruling of the chair if the rules the practice out of order, that is a possibility because your organization has adopted a custom of passing the hat.  Here is what RONR says about a custom on page 19:

"In some organizations, a particular practice may sometimes come to be followed as a matter of established custom so that it is treated practically as if it were prescribed by a rule. If there is no contrary provision in the parliamentary authority or written rules of the organization, the established custom should be adhered to unless the assembly, by a majority vote, agrees in a particular instance to do otherwise. However, if a customary practice is or becomes in conflict with the parliamentary authority or any written rule, and a Point of Order (23) citing the conflict is raised at any time, the custom falls to the ground, and the conflicting provision in the parliamentary authority or written rule must thereafter be complied with. If it is then desired to follow the former practice, a special rule of order (or, in appropriate circumstances, a standing rule or a bylaw provision) can be added or amended to incorporate it."

Having said all that, I agree with Josh, Hieu and Chris that the best method is probably to adopt a motion or standing rule authorizing the practice.

As our meetings are never attended by all members of the organization, would we need to give prior notice in order to present a motion to make this more than a tradition?

No. As long as a quorum is present, a majority vote will do the trick. If absent members don't like it they can attend the next meeting a make a motion to rescind the previously adopted motion.

Archived