The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling a vacancy on a HOA Board of Directors

Guest leann_alexander@yahoo.com

I had thought that ballots are little slips of paper on which the members indicate their preferred candidate or choice, so I am totally confused now. :)

I just hope it was specified that the survivor of this death match is the one who gets the office, otherwise it is going to remain vacant.

When a candidate is nominated must the person nominating them vote for them?

No. Just as the maker of a motion doesn't have to vote in favor of the motion. 

But it's expected that a member who makes a motion thinks it should be adopted.

And I think it's expected that a member who nominates a candidate thinks that candidate should be elected.

In both instances the maker/nominator is free to change his/her mind before voting.

Thanks Josh the bylaws say the BOD must nominate someone to fill the vacancy.

That's it? Does it also say that the board actually fills the vacancy, or does the board simply make the nominations and then some other body fills the vacancy?

When a canididate is nominated must the person nominating them vote for them?

No.

I am stepping down from my Hoa Board as president, creating a vacancy on our 5-person Board of directors. The remaining 4 members are all up for re-election as well. They all would like to stay on and are seeking re-election. How should the election be held? Specifically:

1. Should my president position be filled first and should I call for candidates for president or just for a vacant Board position?

2. Since the other remaining 4 members want to stay on, should I ask the membership to vote on each position (2 Vice President, secretary, and treasurer?) or are the members just running for an open board position without title? And which board member should be voted on first? Alphabetical order? For example, what if there is only one person that would like to be elected to the Board, who should he run against? Ideally, it would be great if no one wants to run, and we can re-elect all 4 current members. Then we only need 1 election - that of president (because none of the 4 board members want the president job).

Thanks for your responses.

Guest_Bill, please post a new question as a new topic instead of adding to an existing thread. Think of this thread as Guest_leann_alexander's thread. This way, the answers to your question will not be confused with the answers to the question that Guest_leann_alexander had, especially if they're completely different situations, and Guest_leann_alexander comes back with follow up details or questions to the original topic.

Guest_Bill, you can post a new question by going to the General Discussion forum and clicking on "Start New Topic" near the upper right hand corner.

Thanks Edgar for the tip on the name display.

Josh it actually says "Vacancies occurring between annual meetings of the membership shall be filled by the remaining Board members for the remainder of the unexpired term of the vacant directorship."  Then further down it says " A vacancy in any office may be filled by appointment by the board.  the officers appointed to such vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the term of the officer being replaced."

Josh it actually says "Vacancies occurring between annual meetings of the membership shall be filled by the remaining Board members for the remainder of the unexpired term of the vacant directorship."  Then further down it says " A vacancy in any office may be filled by appointment by the board.  the officers appointed to such vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the term of the officer being replaced."

Thank you. Based on these additional facts, it would not be in order for the board to adopt a motion to fill the vacancy by "an all out election with the homeowners." If the bylaws provide that vacancies are filled by the Board of Directors, then that is what must be done.

The board could, I suppose, poll the homeowners to gauge their opinions on the subject, and the board members would be free to take those opinions into account when casting their votes.

We had 3 candidates 1 received 0 votes the other 2 were tied.  As of today the candidate with 0 votes withdrew and 1 of the tied candidates withdrew.  So as I understand the last candidate fills the vacancy.  Please confirm.

You'll need to vote again to elect the remaining candidate. Or someone else.

What if the two candidates who were tied had withdrawn. Would the candidate who received no votes fill the vacancy?

Since I last wrote things have changed.  We had 3 candidates 1 received 0 votes the other 2 were tied.  As of today the candidate with 0 votes withdrew and 1 of the tied candidates withdrew.  So as I understand the last candidate fills the vacancy.  Please confirm.

Thanks

You'll need to vote again to elect the remaining candidate. Or someone else.

What if the two candidates who were tied had withdrawn. Would the candidate who received no votes fill the vacancy?

I agree with Mr. Guest.  The Board still needs to make the selection.  No one gets in automatically by default.  Who knows: there might even be write in votes for someone else.  Or, if your rules allow it, someone new might be nominated.  Or the one candidate still standing might be elected by acclamation.  You still need to go through the motions.

Archived