The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Guest Nicole

You'll need to amend (change) your bylaws if you want two persons to share the position of chairperson. It's extremely unlikely that the nominating committee has the authority to do this (that's the first "no"). It's also unlikely that the board has the authority to do this (that's the second "no"),

It's also a very bad idea. So what should have happened is . . . nothing. Don't do it.

Thank you Daniel.  Your second no means that it should not have been brought to the board.  What do you think should have happened?

They should have thought better of it, because it's a terrible idea, and because it's prohibited anyway, unless your bylaws explicitly authorize it (which is still a terrible idea).

One of our regular posters, the esteemed Dr. John Stackpole, has written an excellent article about the problems with having co-anythings:  co-presidents, co-secretaries, co-chairmen, co-anything.   I have a link to it, but the link I have isn't working.  Perhaps it's because I have it saved as a word document.  Maybe Dr. Stackpole or someone else will post a working link to it.... or maybe Dr. Stackpole will post a summary of the key points.

Archived