The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot electon

Guest Linda

We have a contested officer election and our bylaws specify for ballot vote with both proxy and absentee ballots counted.  The bylaws do not provide for voting by mail.  Can absentee ballots be mailed out (to all members?  Only those who request?) in advance of the meeting or do they have to be delivered and returned by other means?

See RONR pp. 424ff. for a good description of how to do a (reasonably) secure mail vote.

If your bylaws authorize absentee votes without saying how those absentees actually vote (what mechanism for delivery and return, &c) we can't help you here.  Amend your bylaws...

I surely hope you are NOT combining election ballots cast at a meeting with those (mysterious) absentee votes. NOT a good idea.  See p. 423.

If a vote by mail is not authorized in your bylaws, then it cannot be done.  Absentee ballots will have to be picked up and deposited at your organization's location.  Members with a proxy will vote at the meeting.  Because your bylaws allow absentee and proxy voting, you may combine these votes with those at the meeting.  Of course, RONR frowns on this practice, but your bylaws trump RONR.

If a vote by mail is not authorized in your bylaws, then it cannot be done. Absentee ballots will have to be picked up and deposited at your organization's location. Members with a proxy will vote at the meeting. Because your bylaws allow absentee and proxy voting, you may combine these votes with those at the meeting. Of course, RONR frowns on this practice, but your bylaws trump RONR.

Wouldn't it be in order for the society to mail out the ballots, so long as they are still deposited at the organization's location? It seems to me that so long as the ballot is returned in person, it is not really a "mail vote."

As an aside to this discussion, I want to commend Mr. Martin for 10,000 posts! Very impressive. Even more impressive is the overall quality of the posts. I thought this was worth recognizing in this forum.

I agree!!  Congratulations, Josh... on both the quantity and quality of your posts!

Archived