The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meeting order for elections

Guest April

Our annual membership meeting will be held in a couple of weeks.  The Tuesday following this meeting will be our usual monthly board meeting.  We are a 12 member, non profit board.

My question is: when do we elect the new officers at our monthly meeting.. Do we do this at the beginning of the meeting right after a quorum has been acknowledged or do we go through the committee reports first.  I know this sound like an idiot question but our by-laws don't address this issue.  I want to make sure it's done correctly.

thanks

a

And p. 357 explicitly says that elections "may be regarded as special orders"  --  the "may" seems a bit wishy-washy to me, but there it is  --   which places them after your committee reports,

But the earlier the better, in case one or more elections comes up incomplete and has to be re-done.

And p. 357 explicitly says that elections "may be regarded as special orders"  --  the "may" seems a bit wishy-washy to me, but there it is  --   which places them after your committee reports,

But the earlier the better, in case one or more elections comes up incomplete and has to be re-done.

I  believe that in a recent thread in which this or a similar question came up, Mr. Honemann told us (paraphrasing here from memory) that we should interpret the phrase "may be regarded as special orders" to mean "should be regarded as special orders".    I agree with Dr. Stackpole that perhaps that statement on page 357 could be a bit more definitive.

I  believe that in a recent thread in which this or a similar question came up, Mr. Honemann told us (paraphrasing here from memory) that we should interpret the phrase "may be regarded as special orders" to mean "should be regarded as special orders".    I agree with Dr. Stackpole that perhaps that statement on page 357 could be a bit more definitive.

Perhaps Dan did expand on it but it's probably no more complicated than Josh's thought in post #8  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/24264-generalspecial-orders-vs-new-business/?p=135320 when you were wondering the same thing.

Archived