The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation by a President

Guest Ms. M.

1.  If a President submits a resignation at a meeting, does a motion have to be made to accept the resignation and a second, followed by a vote for it to be binding?

2.  After a motion and a second (after a President turns in resignation), and President then commences to leave the meeting - Discussion followed but the motion was not voted on.  We decided as a board to wait until next meeting to continue with business and adjourned.  At this point, is resignation in place, does it have to be voted on to be valid?  Since the motion was not officially voted on, is it considered "tabled" motion?  If it is a tabled motion, can it be voted on at the next meeting or does a new motion have to be made?  

1) Yes,

2) Yes you need to vote on it for it to be effective normally, but right now it's under the control of the assembly.  If you are going to meet again within a quarterly time interval you need to vote on it at your next meeting or it will be considered effective regardless.  If you don't meet again within a quarterly time interval it's effective now.  

#2 edited quite a bit.

1) Yes,

2) Yes you need to vote on it for it to be effective normally, but right now it's under the control of the assembly.  If you are going to meet again within a quarterly time interval you need to vote on it at your next meeting or it will be considered effective regardless.  If you don't meet again within a quarterly time interval it's effective now.  

#2 edited quite a bit.

Since this meeting, the President has rescinded the resignation since it was not voted on.  So, the "tabled" motion is on the agenda under unfinished business.  Since it was rescinded, I assume there is nothing to vote on?

Since this meeting, the President has rescinded the resignation since it was not voted on.  So, the "tabled" motion is on the agenda under unfinished business.  Since it was rescinded, I assume there is nothing to vote on?

Since it has been withdrawn prior to it being voted on or automatically accepted because the motion to postpone expired, yes, there's nothing to vote on.  

Since this meeting, the President has rescinded the resignation since it was not voted on.  So, the "tabled" motion is on the agenda under unfinished business.  Since it was rescinded, I assume there is nothing to vote on? Or can we still vote to accept the resignation?

1.  If a President submits a resignation at a meeting, does a motion have to be made to accept the resignation and a second, followed by a vote for it to be binding?

2.  After a motion and a second (after a President turns in resignation), and President then commences to leave the meeting - Discussion followed but the motion was not voted on.  We decided as a board to wait until next meeting to continue with business and adjourned.  At this point, is resignation in place, does it have to be voted on to be valid?  Since the motion was not officially voted on, is it considered "tabled" motion?  If it is a tabled motion, can it be voted on at the next meeting or does a new motion have to be made?  

The infamous "Lay On the Table" or not issue.

I think this falls under "Postpone to a Definite Time".  In your case it means the motion to accept the Request to be Excused From Duty under Unfinished business.  Otherwise you would have to pass the motion Take From the Table in order to bring up the topic.

ETA:  I actually started this response a while ago and got tied up with a situation at work.  I see my response is now moot.

Huh? :)

My replies are based on PL, p. 513, Question 300.  If I am not understanding the good General's answer to an eerily similar question, I would appreciate any clarification you can provide.  I am opining that his answer would not have been different whether it was a motion to postpone or a motion to lay on the table.

I agree that a resignation can be withdrawn before it has been accepted, but I don't find where RONR explicitly says so.  General Robert does say so explicitly in "Parliamentary Law" on page 531 521 in response to question 332.  Am I just overlooking it in RONR?

Edited to add:  And General Robert also says so on page 513 in response to question 300 as Mr. Mervosh pointed out at the same time I was typing the reference to page 332 521:)

So, why doesn't RONR say so explicitly?

Edited again to add:  Strike just about  everything I said.  Besides getting question numbers and page numbers mixed up, I see that General Robert adds that "A member may withdraw his resignation at any time before the chair has stated the question on its adoption".    Since it was "laid on the table"  (or postponed), I presume the question was stated by the chair.  So, as Mr. Honemann just asked, presumably the consent of the assembly would be required.

The infamous "Lay On the Table" or not issue.

I think this falls under "Postpone to a Definite Time".  In your case it means the motion to accept the Request to be Excused From Duty under Unfinished business.  Otherwise you would have to pass the motion Take From the Table in order to bring up the topic.

But it's been withdrawn.

Wouldn't this require permission from the assemby?

After re-reading what General Robert says on page 521 of Parliamentary Law in response to question 332, I agree.  (See my edited post above at # 10).

Edited to add:  Here is the pertinent part of that post:  "General Robert adds that "A member may withdraw his resignation at any time before the chair has stated the question on its adoption".    Since it was "laid on the table"  (or postponed), I presume the question was stated by the chair.  So, as Mr. Honemann just asked, presumably the consent of the assembly would be required."

Wouldn't this require permission from the assemby?

Hmmm.  Yes.  My mistake. RONR is clear about this.  I was a bit too focused on that question in PL where it seemed as though the answer was, no, as it seemed to me it was under the control of the assembly when the General says "unless withdrawn".   I realize now that "unless withdrawn" still requires the assembly's consent in the answer to the question.

For a slight clarification, a second may or may not be required.

"Does not require a second except when moved formally by the maker of the request. A motion to grant the request of another member does not require a second since the maker of the request and the maker of the motion—two members—wish the question to be considered." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 290)

Archived