The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending a decision from a previous meeting

robinwalthour

First I am brand new to this forum and Robert's and am seeking assist with my challenges....

I belong to a group that had made a decision to purchase an item for a event.  There was quorum, but now folks that did not attend the meeting are not in favor and want to hold a special meeting to rescind (stop) the purchasing of the item. 

My question is:

1.  Is this doable?

2. if so how.

In the order you asked....

#1.  Yes,  IF....

Your bylaws allow for special meetings

AND...

The item will not have been purchased (or contracted for, I suppose) by the time the special meeting is held.

THEN...

(This answers #2): The attendees at the special meeting move to rescind the purchase and adopt the motion  --  see p. 305 for some other special requirements.

So check the bylaws and move fast before the item gets bought.

Moral of this Lesson:  Always go to meetings of your association(s).

Yes it is, provided the purchase hasn't yet been made. (Sounds like it hasn't)

You would use the motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted. It requires a 2/3 vote, or a vote of the majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. The latter might be particularly helpful if you;re calling a special meeting; the notice of the meeting would provide the notice that you intend to move to rescind that previous motion. Be sure the calling of a special meeting is allowed in your bylaws.

1) Yes assuming the item hasn't been purchased yet.

2) Adopt a motion to Rescind (RONR pp. 305-310).  It requires a majority vote if previous notice is given, a 2/3 vote if notice wasn't given, and a majority of the ENTIRE membership will suffice.

Also, as the others have noted you can't have Special Meetings unless your bylaws specifically authorize them.

In the order you asked....

#1.  Yes,  IF....

Your bylaws allow for special meetings

AND...

The item will not have been purchased (or contracted for, I suppose) by the time the special meeting is held.

THEN...

(This answers #2): The attendees at the special meeting move to rescind the purchase and adopt the motion  --  see p. 305 for some other special requirements.

So check the bylaws and move fast before the item gets bought.

Moral of this Lesson:  Always go to meetings of your association(s).

Hi Mr. Stackpole, Just found out that the request for checks was just sent out to the membership, can this still be done?

I just found out that the request for checks has been sent out.  Can this still be done?

Wait, what?

Request for checks?  You said nothing about a request for checks.  Is this some special assessment on the members to pay for this item?  Unless your bylaws authorizes such a thing, no special assessments or fees beyond the normal dues may be imposed.  

Wait, what?

Request for checks?  You said nothing about a request for checks.  Is this some special assessment on the members to pay for this item?  Unless your bylaws authorizes such a thing, no special assessments or fees beyond the normal dues may be imposed.  

It is cardigan that they want the chapter to purchase.  The treasurer has requested that the members send their checks forward so that the purchases can be made.  Sorry for any confusion.  I will do better with the next post.

Hi Mr. Stackpole, Just found out that the request for checks was just sent out to the membership, can this still be done?

Wait, what?

This "request for checks" business might change everything.  Please explain.

Edited to add:  I just saw your response in post # 8, but that doesn't help too much.   We really need more details about exactly what the original motion said and what has been done to carry it out.

Whatever "request for checks" amounts to, it seems to me that the checks can be easily returned if the original "buy the item" motion is rescinded before the actual purchase is made..

The rules for rescind (p. 308) say you can rescind any unexecuted portion of the original motion.

But move fast....

Whatever "request for checks" amounts to, it seems to me that the checks can be easily returned if the original "buy the item" motion is rescinded before the actual purchase is made..

The rules for rescind (p. 308) say you can rescind any unexecuted portion of the original motion.

But move fast....

Will do and thanks so much! 

Then, it seems to me that if the sweaters have not yet been purchased, the motion to purchase them can still be rescinded.  But, if members have already started sending checks to the treasurer, the motion to rescind the motion to buy the sweaters might contain a provision that the treasurer issue refunds to those members who have already paid.

Archived