The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who takes credit for and signs minutes

Andy Travis

If the regular secretary wrote up April's minutes but was absent at the May meeting where the minutes were accepted as corrected, who signs the minutes? And if there were any corrections and somebody other than the regular secretary makes the corrections who takes credit for writing and signing the minutes?

The regular secretary was back shortly after the May meeting and the April minutes have not yet been distributed to members (not just Board members) interested in receiving them.

Yes. The words "Respectfully submitted" used to precede the signature but that's no longer advised (though it's not improper either). See p.471.

Maybe that is a good reason for going back and using the term "Respectfully submitted", since the term indicates that the signature is of the person who wrote them rather than some other person who was around when they were approved.  I think using the term eliminates some of the confusion as to who should sign the minutes.

Maybe that is a good reason for going back and using the term "Respectfully submitted", since the term indicates that the signature is of the person who wrote them rather than some other person who was around when they were approved.  I think using the term eliminates some of the confusion as to who should sign the minutes.

Was it ever in doubt Margaret Duffy took those minutes in the book?  :)

I am in agreement that the 'respectfully submitted' part should still be included. So then should the minutes always have 2 signatures, even if they are by the same person. One for submitting and one for verifying that they are approved?

Personally, I think that is a very good idea.  I think it helps  to avoid this confusion about who signs the minutes and makes it plain who noted that they were approved.  I like a signature better than initials.

I think banks like it better that way, too, when the minutes are used in place of a "resolution" authorizing the opening or signatories of a bank account.

I am in agreement that the 'respectfully submitted' part should still be included. So then should the minutes always have 2 signatures, even if they are by the same person. One for submitting and one for verifying that they are approved?

No. The person who submits the draft minutes signs the submission

The person serving as secretary when the minutes are approved initials the (approved) minutes.

No. The person who submits the draft minutes signs the submission

The person serving as secretary when the minutes are approved initials the (approved) minutes.

So then after the minutes are approved, does the submitter (the secretary) remove their name and signature from the minutes? With today's technology the corrections are made on the computer and the approved minutes are re-printed. So this would leave one signature, the person whose signature verifies that the minutes were approved. In most cases, except for what I described in my original post it would be the same person, the secretary. And if it's not the same person would you then leave the submitter and the person who verified the corrections on the final minutes?

Archived