The Official RONR Q & A Forums

question about amending bylaws

Nikki

I live in an older HOA community that had only 3 bylaws and about 10 covenants.

The Board is in the process of trying to amend the bylaws by adding in quite a few more.

They are not considering the ideas put forth by some of the homeowners.

Is this allowed?  Can the Board write the bylaws without input from the homeowners?

There are no bylaw amendment procedures written into the bylaws.  There are no voting rules written into the bylaws.  We have only 3 bylaws in the whole document.  They basically have been operating just as they wanted. Now the board has decided to write new bylaws and they are the ones writing them.

There are no bylaw amendment procedures written into the bylaws.  There are no voting rules written into the bylaws.  We have only 3 bylaws in the whole document.  They basically have been operating just as they wanted. Now the board has decided to write new bylaws and they are the ones writing them.

8 hours ago, Nikki said:

There are no bylaw amendment procedures written into the bylaws.  There are no voting rules written into the bylaws.  We have only 3 bylaws in the whole document.

Check the text of those ten "covenants".  They may well be bylaws in effect and have further rules governing how your HOA is run.

Nikki, I find it almost inconceivable that a Homeowners Association doesn't have a rather thorough set of bylaws or some sort of similar rules to govern it.  It might be a separate constitution.  They might be in the Covenants that you mentioned.   They might be elsewhere in the land records.  They might be in articles of incorporation or some sort of charter issued by the state.  It might be that state law spells out most of the major items that would normally be in bylaws.  California, for example, has extensive statutes dealing with homeowner associations.  I bet if you keep searching and asking knowledgeable people you will find them.

I agree that it is inconceivable that there aren't a set of bylaws.  There was only 1 page attached to our deed when we bought the property.  It contained 3 bylaws and the rest were CC&R's.  The people who have been there a while do not know of any bylaws.  There aren't any articles of incorporation that we know of.  NC passed a law in 1999 The Planned Community Act, but all the provisions don't automatically apply to older subdivisions.  

We have a rogue board who has taken over and are making up the rules as they go.  What is so unfortunate is that most of the homeowners are just going along with them; and the others we can't seem to make them understand what is happening.

Has anybody searched the land records for something resembling bylaws?   You might consider hiring an attorney or an abstractor to do a "title search" for the period of time around when the development was created looking specifically for any documents that look like or contain bylaws, a constitution, rules, covenants, etc.   And check with the state agency.... usually the Secretary of State... that corporations, real estate developments, homeowner associations, condominium developments etc file similar documents with.

Try to find out who the developers were and check with them.  Find the law firm that handled the development  and check with them.  I still bet there is something somewhere.

btw, you say there are only "3 bylaws".  Briefly and generally, what do those three bylaws say?

The 3 bylaws are

each lot owner is a member of the association and is entitled to vote if they are paid up on dues and assessments.

Identifies the fiscal year and dues amounts and when they are due.

President and Secretary/Treasurer are the officers and terms are 2 yrs with option for reelection.

these are followed by 15 CC &R's.

44 minutes ago, Nikki said:

The 3 bylaws are

each lot owner is a member of the association and is entitled to vote if they are paid up on dues and assessments.

Identifies the fiscal year and dues amounts and when they are due.

President and Secretary/Treasurer are the officers and terms are 2 yrs with option for reelection.

these are followed by 15 CC &R's.

Then where did this "board" come from, if there's only a President and Secretary?

Long story....the president and secretary/treasurer (husband and wife team) left the area after about 15 years of being President and secretary/treasurer.  So some members called an emergency meeting to elect new officers and try to pass new bylaws.  My husband and I and 2 other couples attended the meeting and protested the voting procedures with not enough homeowners being present.  They conceded to elect temporary officers until the "official" annual meeting.  At annual meeting they wanted to let those temporary officers continue on until the next year.  They told us this coming year they would be working on new bylaws and would present them to the homeowners at the annual meeting for a vote. They recently sent out the proposed changes to the homeowners and asked for input or more suggestions and they only used the suggestions that they liked.

45 minutes ago, Nikki said:

They told us this coming year they would be working on new bylaws and would present them to the homeowners at the annual meeting for a vote. They recently sent out the proposed changes to the homeowners and asked for input or more suggestions and they only used the suggestions that they liked.

The people drafting bylaws and bylaws committees tend to  work that way.   :o

But, the entire membership should have to vote to adopt the bylaws and be able to make amendments.... and some members might even be able to propose their own set of bylaws.   It is not a "take it or leave it situation".  

Don't give up.  Stay vigilant.

Long story....the president and secretary/treasurer (husband and wife team) left the area after about 15 years of being President and secretary/treasurer.  So some members called an emergency meeting to elect new officers and try to pass new bylaws.  My husband and I and 2 other couples attended the meeting and protested the voting procedures with not enough homeowners being present.  They conceded to elect temporary officers until the "official" annual meeting.  At annual meeting they wanted to let those temporary officers continue on until the next year.  They told us this coming year they would be working on new bylaws and would present them to the homeowners at the annual meeting for a vote. They recently sent out the proposed changes to the homeowners and asked for input or more suggestions and they only used the suggestions that they liked.

I'm still wondering where the "board" came from.  If there is no mention of a board in the bylaws, then there is no board.  A "group of people" can't just get together and call themselves a board.

All the drama over new bylaws is interesting, but the proposed bylaws don't mean anything unless and until they're adopted by the membership.  The board would ordinarily have no role in the process--especially true if the board does not, in fact, exist.

Perhaps Nikki is just referring to the grouping of the president, secretary, and treasurer as the "board" even though they are not formally organized into a body with any powers. If this is the case, anyone has as much right to form their own "bylaw writing group" and propose a set of amendments/revisions to the membership. 

I still say go consult with an attorney, because HOA are usually far more legally complicated than they appear at first glance. This forum is probably not the best venue as your association hasn't even adopted Robert's Rules as the parliamentary authority.

Archived