The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session

Nikki

If the board meets with a homeowner in a closed, executive session to discuss a private issue, is it mentioned in the meeting minutes that the board met in a

closed meeting to discuss a private issue?  I am secretary and we send the minutes out to the community to keep them in the loop as to what is going on in our community.

Or do I just not mention in the minutes that the board met privately?

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I am secretary and we send the minutes out to the community to keep them in the loop as to what is going on in our community.

Or do I just not mention in the minutes that the board met privately?

Thank you.

As Mr. Huynh notes, yes, take minutes of the portion held in executive session, and you can note to the members the board met in executive session but you would not reveal what was said or done in executive session unless the board lifts the secrecy of the executive session.  

Agreeing with both Mr. Huynh and Mr. Mervosh, if you routinely post your minutes or make them available to the general membership (the homeowners), the executive session minutes should be kept separate from the minutes of the rest of the meeting.  The regular minutes would then just note that the board went into executive session for a period, usually noting the time it went into executive session and the time it came out.  Keeping the executive session minutes separate from the regular meeting minutes makes it much easier when someone wants to review or get a copy of past minutes.  If the executive session minutes are kept separate, you don't have to worry about inadvertently releasing something that should have been kept confidential.

Note:  If the meeting in executive session was a special  meeting and the entire meeting was in executive session, rather than being part of a regular meeting, you could just note in the minutes of the next regular meeting or in a note appended to those minutes that the board met in executive session on a certain date to consider a confidential matter.   The minutes of the meeting in executive  session should  clearly state that the meeting was in executive session to help prevent accidental disclosure.

Archived