The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Andy Travis

Hello,

After a motion is adopted can a member make a motion for a roll call vote?

I ask because the motion adopted contravened the Bylaws. If the answer is "No", a roll call motion cannot be made after the motion was adopted, is it acceptable to put a note in the minutes that the adoption of the motion contravened the bylaws?

2 hours ago, Andy Travis said:

... is it acceptable to put a note in the minutes that the adoption of the motion contravened the bylaws?

The minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting. After a point of order is raised at the next meeting, that point of order would be in the minutes for that meeting.

On 10/25/2016 at 7:52 AM, Andy Travis said:

Hello,

I ask because the motion adopted contravened the Bylaws. If the answer is "No", a roll call motion cannot be made after the motion was adopted, is it acceptable to put a note in the minutes that the adoption of the motion contravened the bylaws?

If a point of order was not (and if not, why not?) raised at the time, and until one is, the assertion that the adopted motion conflicts with the bylaws is merely an unproven conjecture, so no, it would not be appropriate to put that in the minutes.  

As Mr. H. pointed out, points of order are included in the minutes, as are the rulings of the chair on those points as well as the result of appeals, if any, taken to those rulings.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:52 AM, Andy Travis said:

Hello,

I won't argue with any of the previous responses, but I simply don't understand why it is felt that making a motion to take a roll-call vote after a motion which contravenes the bylaws has been adopted will make that motion any better.

The fact is that, if a vote has been taken by any of the regular methods of voting (by voice, by rising, or by show of hands), a motion that the vote be retaken by a roll-call vote is in order if it is made immediately after the chair's announcement of the result of the vote and before any debate or other business has intervened. But why would this help?

12 hours ago, Andy Travis said:

It was thought that by taking a roll call vote would show those members who voted in favor of contravening the bylaws and those that did not. 

It would be better, would it not, to prevent the bylaws from being violated rather than simply to document whose fault it was that they were?

That's possible to accomplish with a Point of Order possibly followed by an Appeal, but not by a roll-call.

Archived