The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Constitution: Set aside part for one time only

grj

The statement was made at our BOD Meeting that a part of our Constitution could be set aside for a good reason but only for one time.  It is not stated in our Constitution that we can do that.  The part wanting to be set aside was a defined Constitutional time for hosting our Business Meeting.  Between March 1 - the week of April 15. It was stated by a BOD member as told to him by a former Secretary of our organization.  Personally I think it is a crock but am I wrong?  Is there a rule out there somewhere that states it can be applied to Constitutions?  Why have one then?  Appreciate bearing with me.   

Just now, grj said:

The statement was made at our BOD Meeting that a part of our Constitution could be set aside for a good reason but only for one time.  It is not stated in our Constitution that we can do that.  The part wanting to be set aside was a defined Constitutional time for hosting our Business Meeting.  Between March 1 - the week of April 15. It was stated by a BOD member as told to him by a former Secretary of our organization.  Personally I think it is a crock but am I wrong?  Is there a rule out there somewhere that states it can be applied to Constitutions?  Why have one then?  Appreciate bearing with me.   

That rule is not suspendable. 

2 minutes ago, grj said:

Bottom line.  One cannot suspend a part of the Constitution without amending it to make the change first. Correct?  Yes?   

Generally yes.  There may be a provision or two which can be suspended (see RONR (11th ed.), p. 263, ll. 1-7), but in your specific case, the rule is not suspendable.

7 hours ago, grj said:

It's a crock.  You're right.

Archived