The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Should minutes reflect bad behavior

Genesis

At a meeting of the General Assembly during which the board election occurred, a member who was unfamiliar with Robert's Rules interrupted the reporting of election results. In the minutes of that meeting, there is an asterisk next to the topic, "election of directors," and then, at the bottom of the page after the Secretary's signature, this reference, "John Doe raised his voice, repeatedly interrupting the Chair. The Chair rules John Doe's comments out of order and instructed him to be seated." The question is not whether John Doe was out of order, but if the reporting of this incident in the minutes as described above is proper. And, if not, how should this incident have been reported? Or should this incident have been left off the minutes?

I think it is a close call, but I tend to agree with HHH & Joshua Katz. It is not clear to me that an offender was "named" in the sense that RONR considers discipline or such a breach of order that it should be entered in the minutes. I think it is best left out.

See pages 471 and 646 re "naming" an offending member.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

6 minutes ago, Guest Susie said:

I'd like to suggest that this be documented SOMEWHERE, in case there is need for disciplinary steps later.

If you wish to document it, then follow the steps for naming the offender.  Otherwise, it doesn't reflect actions taken in the meeting, and it's just gossip.  The point is that a simple gavel rap and "that is out of order" is not the basis for later disciplinary action.  If a person will not come to order when informed that his actions (not the person) are out of order, naming the offender becomes appropriate. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.