The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rejected and tabled motions

Guest Guest

1 minute ago, Guest Guest said:

Should rejected and tabled motions be entered into the minutes?

Certainly.

The minutes should contain:

all main motions (10) or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly (pp. 74–79; 34–37) that were made or taken up—except, normally, any that were withdrawn*—stating:      

a)   the wording in which each motion was adopted or otherwise disposed of (with the facts as to whether the motion may have been debated or amended before disposition being mentioned only parenthetically); and     

b)   the disposition of the motion, including—if it was temporarily disposed of (pp. 90–91, 340–41)—any primary and secondary amendments and all adhering secondary motions that were then pending;

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

It the word “except” that confuses me. So I write in all motions and state approved, rejected or tabled; debated or amended parenthetically?

"Ms. Patterson made a motion to [text].  The motion was laid on the table."

"Ms. Smith mad a motion [text].  After debate, the motion was adopted."

"Mr. Jones made a that the following resolution be adopted [text].  The resolution was not adopted."

"The motion [insert the text of Patterson's motion] was taken from the table."

Edited by J. J.

1 hour ago, J. J. said:

"Ms. Smith mad a motion [text].  After debate, the motion was adopted."

"Mr. Jones made a that the following resolution be adopted [text].  The resolution was not adopted."

"The motion [insert the text of Smith's motion] was taken from the table."

J.J. c'mon, man!  :)

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

It the word “except” that confuses me. So I write in all motions and state approved, rejected or tabled; debated or amended parenthetically?

1 hour ago, J. J. said:

Agreeing with the response by J.J. as to Mrs. Patterson's motion, , note that he said Mrs. Patterson's motion was "laid on the table".  There is no such thing in RONR as a motion "to table".   If it is intended to set a motion aside temporarily in order to take up something more pressing, the correct motion is to "lay the motion on the table".  It can then be taken from the table later in the same meeting.  If not taken from the table by the next meeting, it does dies.

If the intent is to postpone the motion to a definite time, usually to the next meeting, the correct motion to use is to "postpone the motion [to the next meeting]".   If Mrs. Patterson's motion had been postponed, the minutes would say, "Mrs. Patterson made a motion to [text]. The motion was postponed to the next meeting".

Edited by Richard Brown
Corrected typo

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

The word 'except' applies only to motions that were withdrawn. According to RONR, the maker of a motion may withdraw his motion - i.e., remove it from consideration by the assembly - unilaterally before it is stated by the chair, and afterwards only with the permission of the assembly. Those are the only instances in which a motion is not recorded in the minutes. [There are, however, certain cases in which some mention of a withdrawn motion should be noted in the minutes.]

To expand a bit on Mr. Lage's bracketed comment: Generally, the withdrawn motion should only be included if necessary. For example, if a motion was postponed from one meeting to the next and was withdrawn at the second meeting. The minutes of the second meeting would indicate that the motion was taken up and subsequently withdrawn.

On the other hand, if it was moved, seconded, debated, even amended and/or postponed and taken up, and then wthdrawn  - all at the same meeting - none of this needs to go into the minutes

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No one seems to have taken up "amended," so I'll take a crack at it.

Unamended: Mr. X moved that Y. After debate, the motion was adopted.

Amended: Mr. X made a motion which, after debate and amendment, read X. The motion was adopted.

Note that you need not show the original motion and how it was amended, just the final form. The person who moves to amend is not included in the minutes.

Also note that none of these things are accomplished parenthetically.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.