The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting Seating

intrmom

Years ago I read somewhere in RONR that the Board of Directors should not sit at a "head table" at the Annual Membership Meeting ( with the exception of the chairman and the secretary). I've tried to find this but cannot. The question has been brought up and I'd like to know if anyone can help me find RONR's position on BOD seating at the annual Membership Meeting.

8 minutes ago, intrmom said:

Years ago I read somewhere in RONR that the Board of Directors should not sit at a "head table" at the Annual Membership Meeting ( with the exception of the chairman and the secretary). I've tried to find this but cannot.

Such a passage does not exist in RONR.

10 hours ago, intrmom said:

Years ago I read somewhere in RONR that the Board of Directors should not sit at a "head table" at the Annual Membership Meeting ( with the exception of the chairman and the secretary). I've tried to find this but cannot. The question has been brought up and I'd like to know if anyone can help me find RONR's position on BOD seating at the annual Membership Meeting.

All that RONR has to say on seating is that the Chairman should be seated where he can see everyone, and that the Secretary and Parliamentarian (if there is one) should be seated near the Chairman. Everything else is up to the assembly’s rules or customs, or personal preference.

If the organization wishes to adopt its own rules regarding seating arrangements, it is free to do so.

Intermom, you may have bread in this forum that some of us frown upon the practice of having the board members sit at a head table at the front of the room. That is because at a meeting of the membership, the board is not present as a board. The board members who happen to be present at a membership meeting are present in their individual capacities as members of the organization and have no special status as board members. However, as has already been pointed out, RONR contains no such provision.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.