The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes "correction" based on information obtained after a meeting.

Guest Roz

The Treasurer has requested a "correction" to the minutes, based on information obtained after the meeting.  Specifically, a checking account balance was reported during the meeting.  After reviewing the draft minutes submitted for board review, the Treasurer reported that an estimated charge was, two days after the meeting, discovered to be a different amount, thus affecting the balance.   It has been suggested that it would be proper to "correct" ( I.e., just record the new amount as if it had been so reported at the meeting) the minutes to reflect a new checking account balance, since board members were informed via email (several days after the meeting) of the correct charge.  I maintain that there is no "mistake" in the minutes as properly recorded during the meeting and another method of correction should be used.

3 hours ago, jstackpo said:

You are entirely correct:  the minutes should describe what did happen, not what "should" have happened.  There is no need to correct them at all. 

Should the minutes be reflecting the account balance in the first place?  If not, I would suggest the correction be to remove the balance altogether.

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Should the minutes be reflecting the account balance in the first place?  If not, I would suggest the correction be to remove the balance altogether.

I concur that this information does not belong in the minutes to begin with, and a correction to remove the balance altogether would be appropriate.

If the assembly nonetheless chooses to keep this information in the minutes, however, the minutes should reflect what was reported at the meeting, notwithstanding that this was later discovered to be in error.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.