The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations for Officer Election

Larry R.

If the Bylaws don't specify how the voting process for election of officers of a Board must take place, then an adopted motion specifying how to proceed dictates the process. So, if that motion states that nominations shall be made by secret ballot, followed by a secret ballot election of officers, my question is may a member nominate themselves for an office? There is really no way to prevent them from doing so anyway, since the nomination is by secret ballot. Alternatively, if nominations are taken from the floor for example, may a member nominate themselves for an office or must it be done by another member? Thanks in advance for the great feedback and guidance I know I will receive.

6 hours ago, Larry J. Randle said:

If the Bylaws don't specify how the voting process for election of officers of a Board must take place, then an adopted motion specifying how to proceed dictates the process. So, if that motion states that nominations shall be made by secret ballot, followed by a secret ballot election of officers, my question is may a member nominate themselves for an office? There is really no way to prevent them from doing so anyway, since the nomination is by secret ballot. Alternatively, if nominations are taken from the floor for example, may a member nominate themselves for an office or must it be done by another member? Thanks in advance for the great feedback and guidance I know I will receive.

Secret or public, if the rules in RONR apply, people are allowed to nominate themselves volunteer for office. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a election takes place.  Newly elected board member resigns.  Does the next candidate with the most votes take their place automatically?  What if someone else wanted to run for that position, should another vote take place?

Second if the person with the most votes is appointed by president and now is on the board, yet decides to switch their postion with another board member, for example:  Board member resigns position is filled with candidate who had the next most votes and was given the position of say secretary who resigned.  Then Secretary is switched  to take on the treasurer positon.  organization by laws do not state anything on this.  Is this allowed under roberts rule of order and what article or rule covers this?  How do I go about bringing this up as a possible issue if at all and what to do to make it right, etc.  Please advise.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.