The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting - Set for wrong week?

keefe

Our church's bylaws state, "the Annual Meeting is to take place during the fourth week of January."  As a church our meetings have always taken place on a Sunday, if not we would never get anyone to attend the meetings.  With that being said, January 20th would be Sunday in the fourth week of January, at least that is what I presume.  On Sunday January 13, it had been announced during church service that our Annual Meeting would be taking place on Sunday January 27,  I look at that it is the fifth week in January. 

As secretary, I had submitted the order of business/proposed agenda on January 11 to our office manager, she puts the meeting packet together to be handed out to the members.  It was noticed that I had put the 20th as the meeting date and I was told that it was going to be on the 27th.  We briefly discussed the article in our bylaws that states when it is to be and she said she would mention it to our pastors.

At this point it seems that nothing could be done to change the date, and maybe nothing should be done, I am not sure.  Or maybe possibly I am understanding the fourth week incorrectly, I am not sure.  I do know that there are members who won't be available for the meeting on the 27th but would be on the 20th.  

I am just looking for some insight or advice in the situation.  Thank you. 

Edited by keefe

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to help very much, as this is not really a parliamentary question. It seems to me that your church will have to decide whether a "week" starts on Sunday or Monday. Now that you've seen this issue come up, perhaps it's time to amend the bylaws to include less ambiguous language.

I agree with Mr. Lages.  This isn't really a parliamentary question.  Different cultures and different countries recognize different days as the first day of the week, with Sunday and Monday being most common. You can Google it for more information.  I do note, however, that the first partial week in January, 2019 starts on a Tuesday, which is not generally considered the first day of the week in the United States.   I also note that January, 2019 has only three full seven day weeks, adding to the ambiguity.

To resolve this problem, I agree that your church might consider amending the bylaws to set a particular day, such as the fourth Sunday of January, as your annual meeting date.  That will lead to more certainty and make it easier for your members to plan in advance for the annual meeting.

According to ISO standards for week numbers, all weeks start on a Monday, and week #1 of the year is the week containing the first Thursday of the year.  

So for 2019, the 27th of January would be counted as the last day of week #4.

It is also the fourth Sunday of January, which might have inspired whoever set the date.

44 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

According to ISO standards for week numbers, all weeks start on a Monday, and week #1 of the year is the week containing the first Thursday of the year.  

So for 2019, the 27th of January would be counted as the last day of week #4.

It is also the fourth Sunday of January, which might have inspired whoever set the date.

Remind me to stay away from the ISO, especially on weekends. 🙂

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.