The Official RONR Q & A Forums

stat time change

Guest Anne

7 hours ago, Guest Anne said:

Can an annual meeting posted time be changed the day of the meeting?

I think the answer is more "it depends", rather than yes or no. In what way and for what reason is someone wanting to change the "posted time"?  Also, as Mr. Mervosh asked, how was the start time established in the first place?

38 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

At the meeting, the assembly could adopt a motion to adjourn to another time.

Yes, but that (or a recess) would have to occur after they had already convened (presumably at the orginal time or at least soon after it). I suppose the chair could let all of the members know of the plan ahead of time, so that most of them would show up later. But that could be risky. If a quorum shows up at the orginal time, they could defeat a motion to adjourn to another time, and proceed to conduct business anyway.

23 hours ago, Guest Anne said:

Can an annual meeting posted time be changed the day of the meeting?

21 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Yes.

11 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Hmmm.  How would they change it to an earlier start time? 

5 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

They wouldn't.

Then shouldn't the answer be either "no", "maybe", or "it depends", rather than "yes"? 😉

This question is in the same category as the question whether a scheduled meeting can be cancelled outright. But what if the meeting is to be delayed not one hour but an entire day or perhaps more? The question remains that there is no rule in this book that states specifically how these things can be accomplished. It then leaves being a parliamentary question and becomes a question about the internal politics of the organization. Whoever called the meeting changes or cancels it and that person takes the heat for doing so. I assume the person doing so has the best interests of the organization at heart. I would appreciate it very much if those that took a position that called meetings cannot be cancelled then please take the position that scheduled meetings cannot be delayed, if nothing, at least for the sake of consistency.

The scheduled start time of a meeting, for all practical purposes, can indeed be delayed by means of the motion to fix the time to which to adjourn. In fact, it can be done several times. The meeting must still be called to order at the appointed time or as close thereto as practical, but the meeting can then be adjourned to resume at a later time. All that is necessary is that a couple of members show up for the originally scheduled start time. It might be possible for even one member to set an adjourned meeting, but there should preferably be at least two members present to do it. I have seen this utilized more than once at conventions to change both the start time and the meeting location of meetings at a convention. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

10 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

This question is in the same category as the question whether a scheduled meeting can be cancelled outright. But what if the meeting is to be delayed not one hour but an entire day or perhaps more? The question remains that there is no rule in this book that states specifically how these things can be accomplished. It then leaves being a parliamentary question and becomes a question about the internal politics of the organization. Whoever called the meeting changes or cancels it and that person takes the heat for doing so. I assume the person doing so has the best interests of the organization at heart. I would appreciate it very much if those that took a position that called meetings cannot be cancelled then please take the position that scheduled meetings cannot be delayed, if nothing, at least for the sake of consistency.

The assembly itself may delay the meeting, whether by a few hours or by an entire day or more, by means of a motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn. (In the same way, I suppose the assembly itself may “cancel” a meeting by immediately adopting a motion to adjourn.) A meeting may not be canceled or delayed in advance of the meeting, however, unless the organization’s rules provide a method to do do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.