The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Votes recorded in the Minutes

Tomm

The result of an uncounted vote on a main motion is always recorded as "...was adopted" or "...was rejected".  The number of votes on each side is also recorded if the vote was a counted vote. The vote of each member is also recorded when the vote is taken by roll call.

In the case of secondary motions that are adopted, only a passing reference is recorded in the minutes when necessary for completeness or clarity, unless the vote is counted or taken by roll call; otherwise, no mention is made of the motion.

In the case of secondary motions that are rejected, no mention is made in the minutes, unless the vote is counted or taken by roll call.

8 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

In the case of secondary motions that are adopted, only a passing reference is recorded in the minutes when necessary for completeness or clarity, unless the vote is counted or taken by roll call; otherwise, no mention is made of the motion.

In the case of secondary motions that are rejected, no mention is made in the minutes, unless the vote is counted or taken by roll call.

It's never been clear to me that the rule regarding a counted vote applies to secondary motions at all, but I'm certainly not discounting Mr. Elsman's opinion (because I'm not dumb).

I cannot find an explicit reference in RONR with respect to secondary motions, in particular. I guess I have always assumed that the reading of the tellers' report, the announcement of the result by the chair, and the recording in the minutes apples to all motions, main and secondary.

I, for two, would appreciate the opinions of others. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

I, for two, would appreciate the opinions of others. 🙂

Thankfully this site has a nice search feature.  Our good friend Paul McClintock was wondering about this years ago and J.J. and Mr. Honemann chimed in.

https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/19636-minutes-for-counted-vote-on-adopted-secondary-motion/?tab=comments#comment-103842

On 10/24/2019 at 2:51 PM, Tomm said:

Should the results of a vote be recorded in the Minutes?

If so, should it be recorded as a simple pass or fail or should the count be posted as well?

The results of a voice vote on a main motion would be that the motion passed or failed.  The exact language of the motion and the result (adopted or rejected) would be recorded in the minutes.

If the vote was actually counted, then the counts would also be recorded.

If the vote was by roll-call, then the names and vote of each voter would also be recorded.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.