The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll call vote

Guest Gary

4 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

I have done it, but with a group that was not very knowledgeable. So, to avoid my "pass" being interpreted as an abstention, I said, "come back to me".

Back in the day, there was a member of the Student Government Senate who would routinely "pass" on roll-call votes. When the other senators got tired of this, they all "passed" on their turn.

There's no "double passing" mentioned in RONR, but I wonder what would have happened if she had tried that.

“The motion passes” might be the phrase preferred in RONR, but I personally have a preference for  the phrase “The motion is adopted”.  We refer to action an assembly took in the past as “something previously adopted”, not as  “something previously passed”.

The phrase “previously passed” sounds too much like “passed over”, meaning skipped. We also use the term “passed” to refer to NOT voting. So, I personally prefer “The motion is adopted”.  Not that it really makes much difference. 😊

RONR (11th ed.), p.32, presents four words: "adopts" [is adopted, in the passive voice]; [is] "carried"; [is] "lost"; and [is] "rejected".

Other equivalent, commonly-used words are mentioned on p. 124: "accept" [is accepted] and "agree to" [is agreed to].

The word, "ratify" [is ratified] signifies the validation of an action previously taken. Equivalent words are "approve" [is approved] and "confirm" [is confirmed].

While the words "pass" or "fail" are not used in RONR in this way, they are often used in legislative bodies and other bodies that model themselves as legislative bodies to signify adoption or rejection of statutes, ordinances, and the like.

16 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

“The motion passes” might be the phrase preferred in RONR, but I personally have a preference for  the phrase “The motion is adopted”.  We refer to action an assembly took in the past as “something previously adopted”, not as  “something previously passed”.

Yes, but in other contexts this same argument seems not to persuade.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.