The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election campaigning

Guest Tim

We have an organization with 125 members that hold elections at our annual meeting each year for the four officers and 1/3 of the directors, whose terms are staggered.

My questions is, is there any proper way to allow nominees to campaign for themselves after all nominations are closed, we have no language in our bylaws, and i do not see anything in RR?

Example 6 directors are up for re-election, if a seventh is nominated from the floor, there will be an election where only 6 of the 7 can be elected, I would like there to be a way where each nominee could give a short dissertation of there history with the organization and why they should be elected.

Thanks

Nominations are debatable, so nominees who are members of the assembly can rise for the purpose of making speeches. Other members may also rise for the purpose of making speeches to endorse their favorite candidates.

Once nominations have closed, however, RONR (11th ed.) leaves the strong impression that members can rise for the purpose of making motions, but not for the purpose of making speeches.

11 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

I agree with Mr. Elsman.  Nominations are debatable but only when it's in order to make them, so don't close nominations until these speeches are concluded.

So i believe the proper order would be

report of nominating comitee

President asks " are there any nominations from floor?"

"If there are no further nominations, is there any discussion before closing nominations?"  ( at which time nominees could speak to their qualifications)

Or someone could make a motion "to allow nominees to speak for x minutes about their qualifications" 

Then after this speach period if no further nominations, the president can declare nominations closed, then start the voting process.

Am i correct in this order of procedure?

Thanks

11 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Nominations are debatable, so nominees who are members of the assembly can rise for the purpose of making speeches. Other members may also rise for the purpose of making speeches to endorse their favorite candidates.

Once nominations have closed, however, RONR (11th ed.) leaves the strong impression that members can rise for the purpose of making motions, but not for the purpose of making speeches.

11 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

I agree with Mr. Elsman.  Nominations are debatable but only when it's in order to make them, so don't close nominations until these speeches are concluded.

Messrs. Elsman and Mervosh, this seems logical and I don't doubt it, but I'm curious about where I could find this in the book.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:12 PM, Alex M. said:

Messrs. Elsman and Mervosh, this seems logical and I don't doubt it, but I'm curious about where I could find this in the book.

The pages cited don't directly address debate, but the process of making nominations is a motion (tinted pages 18-19, motion 49) and I'm certain you are aware that you can't debate a motion in an assembly unless it's actually pending.

Making nominations in an election is a particular application of the rules for making suggestions to fill one or more blanks. As noted in RONR (11th ed.), p. 164, suggestions to fill one or more blanks in a debatable motion are debatable, each suggestion being treated as a separate, original proposal.

As Mr. Mervosh pointed out, RONR is not as clear as it could be regarding nominations being debatable and providing an opportunity for the members to discuss nominations and for nominees to speak to the assembly.  It is actually rather confusing.  However, it is perfectly permissible and quite commonfor organizations to provide for an opportunity for such discussion and/or speeches after nominations are closed and prior to voting.  This can be accomplished via a motion, a special rule of order, or, as I suspect is more common, simply by custom.  It has been my own experience that many organizations do provice for such a period of discussion and/or speeches after nominations are closed and prior to voting. Doing so is perfectly permissible when RONR is the parliamentary authority.

5 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Making nominations in an election is a particular application of the rules for making suggestions to fill one or more blanks. As noted in RONR (11th ed.), p. 164, suggestions to fill one or more blanks in a debatable motion are debatable, each suggestion being treated as a separate, original proposal.

Thanks, I find this persuasive—but wouldn't the discussion take place after nominations have closed?

4 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

As Mr. Mervosh pointed out, RONR is not as clear as it could be regarding nominations being debatable and providing an opportunity for the members to discuss nominations and for nominees to speak to the assembly.  It is actually rather confusing.  However, it is perfectly permissible and quite commonfor organizations to provide for an opportunity for such discussion and/or speeches after nominations are closed and prior to voting.  This can be accomplished via a motion, a special rule of order, or, as I suspect is more common, simply by custom.  It has been my own experience that many organizations do provice for such a period of discussion and/or speeches after nominations are closed and prior to voting. Doing so is perfectly permissible when RONR is the parliamentary authority.

My organization essentially does it by custom.

Perhaps I've hijacked this thread a little too much...

On 3/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, Alex M. said:

Thanks, I find this persuasive—but wouldn't the discussion take place after nominations have closed?

My organization essentially does it by custom.

Once nominations are closed, the question of nominations is no longer pending, and is therefore no longer debatable.

14 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Once nominations are closed, the question of nominations is no longer pending, and is therefore no longer debatable.

That is true, but the assembly may still adopt a motion or a special rule of order to permit speeches and/or discussion after nominations are closed and prior  to voting.  Many organizations do this as a matter of custom.

39 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

That is true, but the assembly may still adopt a motion or a special rule of order to permit speeches and/or discussion after nominations are closed and prior  to voting.  Many organizations do this as a matter of custom.

What's so hard about simply not closing them until debate is completed?

Edited by George Mervosh

4 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

What's so hard about simply not closing them until debate is completed?

I agree.  The chair, rather than saying "If there are no further nominations <pause> nominations are closed," may instead say "If there are no further nominations, is there any discussion on nominations?" 

And when debate has ended, close nominations at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

What would the end result be of debating a nomination? Since a nomination does not require a second, isn't it permanent the minute it is made?

Member A nominates Member B for office. Member C rises in debate to oppose the nomination. Member A speaks in favor of the nomination. No matter how persuasive Member C is, it seems to me that the nomination of Member B is still in place at the end of the debate.

Am I missing something else here?

Just now, AFS1970 said:

What would the end result be of debating a nomination? Since a nomination does not require a second, isn't it permanent the minute it is made?

As I understand it, an election is a motion with a blank. A nomination is a proposal to fill that blank (although voting doesn't proceed like that for filling a blank, so maybe I'm wrong). So debate on the nomination is debate on the proposal to fill the blank with that individual, i.e. just speaking for or against the candidate being elected.

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

Member C rises in debate to oppose the nomination.

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

just speaking for or against the candidate being elected.

It is difficult to oppose a nomination without breaching the rule that the speaker "must never attack ... members" (RONR 11th ed., p. 43, lines 19-20).

So it is safer when debating nominations to simply speak to the merits of your preferred nominee and why that person should be elected, rather than speaking against any nominee.

In my opinion, factual statements that go to the heart of the question about a candidate's suitability do not breach the rule prohibiting the dealing in personalities.

For example, it would be perfectly acceptable to speak about your opponent's prior convictions for embezzlement during nominations for treasurer, especially if the information were not widely known; however, it would go too far to call him a thief, since such a statement would be a derived characterization (however true it may be!) and a personal attack, not a factual statement.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:52 PM, Rob Elsman said:

In my opinion, factual statements that go to the heart of the question about a candidate's suitability do not breach the rule prohibiting the dealing in personalities.

For example, it would be perfectly acceptable to speak about your opponent's prior convictions for embezzlement during nominations for treasurer, especially if the information were not widely known; however, it would go too far to call him a thief, since such a statement would be a derived characterization (however true it may be!) and a personal attack, not a factual statement.

I  agree with Mr. Elsman's post. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.