The Official RONR Q & A Forums

If a motion is coming from a committee to the larger group must all committee members vote in favor of that motion at the time that the larger entity votes on that motion?

Guest Kris Kvam

I have been told that when a committee makes a motion to its larger body, each member of that committee must vote in favor of the motion. That seems odd since it would curtail the ways that discussing the motion might influence the views (and votes) of those committee members. Have i been told wrongly or properly? 

It is not a rule in RONR.

It is a custom or special rule with several types of organizations. If it is a special rule in your organization, someone should be able to show you where it is written down.

If it's a custom (aka "culture"), some would say that it is worth the paper it is not written on.

44 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

Yes, but even in that situation, at the subsequent general meeting where the committee's recommendation is proposed any member of the committee is free to change their mind and speak / vote against the motion.

The committee should have someone who agrees with the recommendation move for its adoption.  I don't think the reporting member should be speaking against it.

I agree with Mr. Mervosh, which is always the thing to do. 😊

Beyond what he says, members of committees are free to cross over to the other side, speak in debate in opposition to the side he took in committee, offer amendments that significantly change the meaning of the recommendations he voted for in committee, etc.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.