The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Exception to ballot vote

Gary Leach

46:40 If only one person is nominated and the bylaws do not require that a ballot vote be taken, the chair, after ensuring that, in fact, no members present wish to make further nominations, simply declares that the nominee is elected, thus effecting the election by unanimous consent or “acclamation”. The motion to close nominations cannot be used as a means of moving the election of a candidate in such a case.

With the understanding that it is ultimately the responsibility of the organization to interpret its own bylaws, would it be correct to interpret 46:40 as meaning, "If only one person is nominated and the bylaws do not require that a ballot vote be taken in such a case, the chair, after ensuring, etc, etc."

In other words, is the 46:40 acclamation wording an acceptable exception to the ballot rule as referred to in 46:35?

No. If the bylaws say a balloted vote is needed, then a balloted vote is needed. They need not specifically say "even when there is only one person nominated." 

The bylaws could, of course, say that a balloted vote is needed if there's more than one nominee. But if they simply call for a balloted vote, then the words in RONR provide no carve-out.

Okay, then presumably, the following excerpt from the bylaws of the organization in question is acceptable, since it specifically lists the exception to the requirement for a ballot vote in the case of only one nominee. The wording is similar to that found in 46:40.

"The election of officers shall proceed by secret ballot except that when only one person is nominated for an office, the President, after ensuring that, in fact, no members present wish to make further nominations, simply declares that the nominee is elected, thus effecting the election by acclamation."

P.S. Wow, thanks for the speedy response!

Bruce & Weldon, I agree with you. Unfortunately, without quoting the wording from Robert's, the following is what you get: "If the office is uncontested, a motion to cast one vote for the uncontested candidate may be made." That's a direct quote from the bylaws of one of my organizations. I pointed out that Robert's says it is not in order to do that and I was told, "We know that, but everybody does it that way. That's why we put it in the bylaws, because the bylaws override Robert's" It seems that Robert's is intimidating to a lot of people and they would rather try to work around it than with it. 🙁

On 11/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, Gary Leach said:

I pointed out that Robert's says it is not in order to do that and I was told, "We know that, but everybody does it that way. That's why we put it in the bylaws, because the bylaws override Robert's" It seems that Robert's is intimidating to a lot of people and they would rather try to work around it than with it. 🙁

But this is correct. The bylaw does appear to have been written to do it in a way that differs from RONR, and the bylaws do, in fact, override RONR. So I'm not seeing the problem.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, Gary Leach said:

Bruce & Weldon, I agree with you. Unfortunately, without quoting the wording from Robert's, the following is what you get: "If the office is uncontested, a motion to cast one vote for the uncontested candidate may be made." That's a direct quote from the bylaws of one of my organizations. I pointed out that Robert's says it is not in order to do that and I was told, "We know that, but everybody does it that way. That's why we put it in the bylaws, because the bylaws override Robert's" It seems that Robert's is intimidating to a lot of people and they would rather try to work around it than with it. 🙁

I would quibble with the statement that “everyone does it that way“. I disagree. I will agree, however, that organizations frequently ignore the requirement in their bylaws that a ballot vote be taken, especially when there is only one candidate for a position.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, Gary Leach said:

Well, as has been noted, RONR does not say that it is not in order to put such a provision in the bylaws.  In fact, General Robert himself went to some pains, in Parliamentary Procedure, page 477, Q&A 186, to describe the correct procedure to use when the bylaws contain such a provision.  

On 11/16/2021 at 9:26 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Well, as has been noted, RONR does not say that it is not in order to put such a provision in the bylaws.  In fact, General Robert himself went to some pains, in Parliamentary Procedure, page 477, Q&A 186, to describe the correct procedure to use when the bylaws contain such a provision.  

Parliamentary Procedure?

On 11/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, Joshua Katz said:

But this is correct. The bylaw does appear to have been written to do it in a way that differs from RONR, and the bylaws do, in fact, override RONR. So I'm not seeing the problem.

I agree there's not a violation here, since that's what their bylaws tell them to do.  However, autonomy of the organization over its own bylaws notwithstanding, my concern is just that, by codifying it in the bylaws, it perpetuates a questionable practice. It's just as easy to follow the "acclamation" route, preferred by Robert's, as it is follow the "is not in order" route of a secretary casting a single ballot.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, J. J. said:

Ah, it is now out of copyright and online:  https://archive.org/details/parliamentarylaw00robe/page/n7/mode/2up

I sometimes give a cite and a link to the online version, usually to Question and Answer 107, but personally I MUCH prefer the hardbound book version for looking things up.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, Gary Leach said:

I agree there's not a violation here, since that's what their bylaws tell them to do.  However, autonomy of the organization over its own bylaws notwithstanding, my concern is just that, by codifying it in the bylaws, it perpetuates a questionable practice. It's just as easy to follow the "acclamation" route, preferred by Robert's, as it is follow the "is not in order" route of a secretary casting a single ballot.

Much easier in fact.  In organizations that direct the Secretary to cast a single vote, once that's done, it's often the end of it.  The Secretary never does cast such a ballot.  It has been so long since this method was appropriately used, nobody remembers that the Secretary is supposed to do as directed.  

Here's what PL actually says:

186. Ques. What is the correct procedure when the secretary is asked to “cast the ballot”?

Ans. The secretary is not asked, but is directed, or ordered, to cast the ballot for a certain person for a specified office. In such a case, he writes the name of the candidate on a blank piece of paper, and standing says: “Mr. Chairman, by order of the club, I cast its ballot [or, unanimous ballot] for Mr. A for treasurer.” He then hands the ballot to the chairman and resumes his seat. The chairman, standing, says: “The ballot [or, unanimous ballot] of the club has been cast for Mr. A for treasurer, and he is therefore elected treasurer.” This is not a vote by ballot, but is a viva voce vote, and cannot be done legally if the by-laws require the election to be by ballot. R. 0. R., pp. 194, 202. 

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 11/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Much easier in fact.  In organizations that direct the Secretary to cast a single vote, once that's done, it's often the end of it.  The Secretary never does cast such a ballot.  It has been so long since this method was appropriately used, nobody remembers that the Secretary is supposed to do as directed.  

Here's what PL actually says:

Thanks!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.