The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling the Question Clarification

AverageJoeMN

I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times so sorry for the question.

A resolution is before the body.  After some discussion someone "calls the question".  A vote is taken on that motion and it passes.  The chair declares that the original resolution (not "the calling of the question" but the resolution before the body) has passed.

In my understanding if they didn't, after voting on "calling the question", actually then vote on the resolution they haven't done anything but voting on calling the question.  The initial resolution is left hanging.

Amy I right or am I missing it?  To me "calling the question" is a motion to end debate and nothing else, it is not ALSO passing the initial resolution.

Help?  Make sense?

Thanks.

You are correct.  Once the motion for the previous question (call the question) was voted on and passed, the chair should have then put the question on the resolution itself to a vote.  If you're certain he declared the original resolution adopted, it's too late now to raise a point of order about it.  It seems the chair fell victim to what is described in the answer to  FAQ#11.  https://robertsrules.com/frequently-asked-questions/#faqs

Thank you.  #11 is exactly as I thought it was.  The issue was a very important censure resolution of a sitting city council member.  The mayor did what I described leaving me to believe, until I can see the video of the meeting later today to confirm, that the censure did not actually occur. 

Appreciate the help.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rob Elsman said:

No member, including the presiding officer, has the right to unilaterally shut down debate and cause the question to come to an immediate vote.

You are correct. But it does happen, more often that we might think. And if an immediate Point of Order is nit not raised, it is too late to raise it later.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rob Elsman said:

If the "body" in this case is a committee, motions to immediately close debate are not in order at all.

Also true, but apparently irrelevant to the question asked.

Edited by Weldon Merritt
Edited to correct a typo.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, AverageJoeMN said:

I reviewed the video a few minutes ago and one might be able to argue the mayor ignored the "question" motion and went directly to the censure motion.

Okay, but it's too late to make this argument now. A point of order about this error needed to be raised at the time.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, AverageJoeMN said:

It really looks like interpretation at this point.  

At this point, it looks like a fait accompli. If the chair declared that the censure motion passed, and it wasn't challenged at the time, then the censure motion has passed.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Okay, but it's too late to make this argument now. A point of order about this error needed to be raised at the time.

At this point, it looks like a fait accompli. If the chair declared that the censure motion passed, and it wasn't challenged at the time, then the censure motion has passed.

I agree with both points.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.