The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special order "until disposed of"

paulmcclintock

RONR p. 355 says:

In the case of a committee report, a resolution such as this may be adopted: "Resolved, That the report of the committee on the revision of the bylaws be made the special order for Wednesday morning and thereafter until it has been disposed of."

Does "and thereafter until it has been disposed of" accomplish anything that isn't the case if it was not included?

RONR p. 355 says:

In the case of a committee report, a resolution such as this may be adopted: "Resolved, That the report of the committee on the revision of the bylaws be made the special order for Wednesday morning and thereafter until it has been disposed of."

Does "and thereafter until it has been disposed of" accomplish anything that isn't the case if it was not included?

I am not sure "and thereafter until it has been disposed of" means. If the desire was to make this a special order for future sessions beyond the next, or in a session beyond the quarterly time interval, it would be out of order.

RONR p. 355 says:

No I don't think so. It simply makes it plain that the intent is to make consideration of the committee's report "the" special order for the Wednesday morning meeting.

It simply makes it plain that the intent is to make consideration of the committee's report "the" special order for the Wednesday morning meeting.

It seems like it might be the words "and thereafter" that suggest a duration beyond the Wednesday morning meeting. Sounds a lot like the place people think they go when they die.

It seems like it might be the words "and thereafter" that suggest a duration beyond the Wednesday morning meeting. Sounds a lot like the place people think they go when they die.

"What do we know about the beyond? Do we know what's behind the beyond? I'm afraid some of us don't even know what's beyond the behind." -Bro. Theodore

Yes, the words "and thereafter until it has been disposed of" mean "and thereafter until it has been disposed of."

Have you any notion of what it means to make something "the special order for a meeting?

Yes, the words "and thereafter until it has been disposed of" mean "and thereafter until it has been disposed of."

Have you any notion of what it means to make something "the special order for a meeting?

The language is unnecessary. Once something becomes pending by virtue of its being "the" special order for a meeting, it will remain pending until disposed of. In other words, anything you do to stop it from being pending would constitute "disposing" of it, by definition.

So the language "and thereafter until disposed of" is a tautology, like "It ain't over till it's over."

I suspect he does, and I don't see anything in his post that would indicate otherwise. It seems like he was simply musing about the effect of the words on the psyche. The redundancy of the resolution, while possibly adding clarity for many, is likely to irritate those who do know what it means to make something the special order for a meeting.

I suspect he does, and I don't see anything in his post that would indicate otherwise. It seems like he was simply musing about the effect of the words on the psyche. The redundancy of the resolution, while possibly adding clarity for many, is likely to irritate those who do know what it means to make something the special order for a meeting.

Well, this particular form of the resolution appears in every edition of Robert's Rules of Order going back at least as far as the 1915 Edition, so I don't expect it to change anytime soon. :)

The redundancy of the resolution, while possibly adding clarity for many, is likely to irritate those who do know what it means to make something the special order for a meeting.

For parliamentarians, it may be redundant, but I suspect the average member will have a difficult time grasping why the difference between "a" and "the" is significant. :)

The extra language should help make clear that this is something more than an ordinary special order.

RONR p. 355 says:

If the order is carried forward to a later session held within the quarterly time interval, it is taken up as the special order, RONR (10th ed.), p. 180, instead of an unfinished special order, p. 345.

Archived