The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Phil Hartline

If there are two people running for an office and neather is acceptable to the voters and no votes are cast ,are the no votes considered as part of the votes of majarity or are they considered abstention votes. Exc. 17 no votes,19 votes for can. 1, 18 votes for can. 2 Does this example show that neather of the canadates has a majorty of the voting members.

If there are two people running for an office and neather is acceptable to the voters and no votes are cast ,are the no votes considered as part of the votes of majarity or are they considered abstention votes. Exc. 17 no votes,19 votes for can. 1, 18 votes for can. 2 Does this example show that neather of the canadates has a majorty of the voting members.

I would treat a no vote as an illegal vote, though I think the decision could be appealed, thought I'd expect the decision of the chair to be sustained by a vote of about 35 to 19. A majority of the members are very likely to determine that neither candidate #1 or #2 were elected.

Well, if I'm Mr. Hartline, I'm sticking with the Authorship Team's interpretation on this one.

It won't be Mr. Hartline's decision, singularly, or mine or yours or the Authorship Team's. A proper tellers report should report them to the chair, and the chair should submit the question to the assembly (p. 402). It would be up to the assembly to determine if these "no" votes were abstentions or were illegal votes.

I would, since an interpretation implies ambiguity, be much more comfortable leaving the decision to the majority of Mr. Hartline's organization, though in the circumstances I would strongly suspect that they would determine there was no election.

BTW: I did work with a gentleman named Mr. No. :)

I don't suppose he was a doctor?

A second-baseman?

A Republican?

Welfare caseworker. It is an Asian surname. (One of professors in college, also Asian, was Doctor Hu.)

Even discounting the possibility that there is an eligible person named No. I think that there is enough ambiguity in this case that the assembly will have to be the ones to solve it.

Well, if I'm Mr. Hartline, I'm sticking with the Authorship Team's interpretation on this one.

I would too, but I'm not sure J. J. and the Authorship Team would disagree here. Since there was an unusually high number of no votes, it seems likely to me that the voters were led to believe they could vote against candidates in this fashion, and in such a case their votes must be credited. (Official Interpretation 2006-5)

I would too, but I'm not sure J. J. and the Authorship Team would disagree here. Since there was an unusually high number of no votes, it seems likely to me that the voters were led to believe they could vote against candidates in this fashion, and in such a case their votes must be credited. (Official Interpretation 2006-5)

Hard cases make bad law. :)

The judgment, in this instance would be in the hands of the majority. The chair's presumed interpretation that the "no" votes should be counted as abstentions would be appealable. If the majority should decide that the chair is in error, I would venture that what we, or the Authorship Team, would say will have no bearing on the issue. It is properly the judgment of the assembly (p. 395).

That said, if I were asked to declare the judgment of the assembly in this particular case, I'd error on the side of caution and declare that no candidate was elected, subject to appeal. I'd be somewhat happy if the assembly would overrule that decision.

Just as a note, I really hate judgment calls. :(

It seems to me that this is the deciding factor in this.

Mr. Hartline -- was this option expressly provided to the voters? Or did the 17 nay-sayers just all come up with the idea on their own individual initiative?

Hel-loOOoo? :)

The voting that Phil Hartline was talking about. We don't use p reprinted ballots. We use blank slips of paper and write the name of the person we want to have the office. If we don't want either person running for the office we wrote no on the blank ballot. One person got 24 votes, one person got 14 votes, no got 14 votes also. There was not a majority. They were telling us that the no votes do not count. What is your opinion on the no votes counting?

The voting that Phil Hartline was talking about. We don't use p reprinted ballots. We use blank slips of paper and write the name of the person we want to have the office. If we don't want either person running for the office we wrote no on the blank ballot. One person got 24 votes, one person got 14 votes, no got 14 votes also. There was not a majority. They were telling us that the no votes do not count. What is your opinion on the no votes counting?

See RONR, Off. Interp. 2006-5 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

Archived